• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mullet (UK) grey?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Pav

Nov 1, 2005
I often have the opportunity to take large mullet on my quests to find Bass. I have eaten one before and found the taste ok. I don't however shoot them as I worry about how clean / safe they are to eat. I do take one occasionally for my elderly neighbour who loves it. These mullet are taken from the North devon coast.

Clean / safe or dirty fish?

I have no idea of North Devon, but speaking in general, If I were you I wouldn't worry: of course IF the sea is polluted there (I don't know), it's polluted for every kind of fish, not only for mullets. And if it's heavily polluted, I would just stay away.
However, it's true that (at least in my waters) mullets swim also at the delta of rivers (or even up into rivers), inside ports, nears sewage (gutter): not the cleanest waters. But the same is true for bass too, and bass is definitely good to eat.
It's also true that mullets may give an impression of "dirt" because they're slippery, because they eat everytinhg, and because their meat starts degenerating pretty soon after dead. But if you clean them, freeze them and/or cook them fast and right, they're good with no problem at all.
hmm...may I wish you a good appetite?

Reactions: Pav
I think the notion that Mullet can be a bit crap comes from those fish that are caught in harbours etc where the water is less than ideal. The fish that are found in the open sea are safe, clean and very tasty. So unless your fishing in Bideford I shouldnt worry rofl

I wrote a bit about cooking mullet on p 35 Guernsey 2006 thread.

I regularly catch mullet whilst fishing but always release them. However i shoot mullet whilst spearing. This is purely because of the location.

When fishing with a rod and line, the water i fish is often very muddy at the bottom (in an estuary you see) and therefore the taste is less than satisfactory, i am likewise hesitant to keep an estuary mullet due to concerns that they may eat yaught waste and other unpleasant things.

However spearing is a complete contrast! The water i fish is sandy, clear, quiet, and VERY VERY clean. I am therefore very happy with eating these fish and in fact they make up a large percentage of my quarry. Steaming in milk is a very popular recipie, but i prefer foxfishes method!

Huw

Fantastic fish! Same family as Bass and with nice big bones and good flesh..

Attachments

• Graphic4.jpg
    Graphic4.jpg
    651 KB · Views: 260
Reactions: Pav
I'd agree with the location thing. The yacht I sometimes race on is cleaned by the things! so I dread to think what they are contaminated with. mind you its the Tamar so with all that Tritium from the subs in the water they'd light up at night.You wouldnt need candles on the table!!

I saw some mullet of about 30cm in Portsmouth Harbour. The water was very murky and there were boats of all kinds everywhere. There were people swimming in the harbour though!

as for the MED sea we have some kind of those fish
some like only clear rocky water the live in reefs in clean water
the eat sea wide !!
some are great travelrs the go to the harbors & so
other live were rivers end to the sea they like a sweeter water to live

there for i go for the clean ones:t
reef fish is not to easy to shut the are fast!!
this beacuse the swim away from predetors such as Amberjacks
kingfish bluefish & tunas
2605d.jpg

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT