• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mushroom question

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

foxfish

Silver Smoker
Dec 31, 2005
OK I hunt fish & fungi, can any one tell me if I can eat these two little beauties?
The main season is just starting over here in Guernsey, both these mushrooms appear in numbers at the beginning of the season but what are they?

Attachments

• P1020621(1).JPG
    P1020621(1).JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 307
  • P1020622(1).JPG
    P1020622(1).JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 284
Amanita citrina and amanita phalloides? Not sure at all (should watch it closer) and I'm not such a big expert though, but they both look pretty similar to some toxic amanitae.
Here in my country every district has an office at the Health Service Agency for recognizing mushrooms: nothing like this in Uk?
I would NOT eat it without certainty: be carfeul, remember you're a friend of mine and I count on you for my Guernsey trip.

Last edited:
The one on the right definitely looks like an amanita though I cannot say which one. The genus has more poisonous species than any other one so I'd pass for sure. Not sure about the one on the left either. Once you get good at identifying mushrooms it's not a huge deal - though I read recently of a family in mexico that lost several members when they gathered a mushroom they'd been eating for generations - but it had mutated.

stay away from the shrooms fox :) just say no :)

Hey guys dont worry, I have been studying fungi for 20 years.
I know what they are! just wondered if any of you did?

Reactions: spaghetti
foxfish said:
Hey guys dont worry, I have been studying fungi for 20 years.
I know what they are! just wondered if any of you did?
ha ha ha, Foxfish.
So did we pass the exam? In other words: what are they really?

fungi is the name given to a friendly dolphin in the south west of Ireland. I thought he must have pisssed foxfish off really bad or something when i read the first line

i like this thread... when i lived in Spain i used to loads of mushooms in season, "bolets" and ... gad i cant remember the name.. .the big thick brown one (Adrian where are you??)

however, funghi porcini remain my all time favourite and i will be faithful to them forever :inlove

last week Paul and I went to an italian and i had a pizzi with bresaola and rucola.. couldnt resist asking for porcini mushrooms as an addition mmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmm

didnt know that was your "thing" foxfish, very interesting.

Edit: just found the name... ROVELLONS. mmmmmm
http://www.seasonalchef.com/marketreport110505.htm

Last edited:
First mushroom, Amanita phalloides. The death caps we have in Guernsey all seem to have a yellowish cap, more often seen with a olive colour elsewhere.
Second mushroom, Amanita pantherina. The panther cap is not quite so deadly but you wouldn't want to eat one!
Interestingly, a locale couple who eat half a dozen death caps, were the first documented survivors of such a heavy dose of poison. They were very ill for a long time even after they came out of thier coma!! I am not sure but I think they may well of since died a premature death?
The treatment involved filtering thier blood though charcoal.

spaghetti said:
Amanita citrina and amanita phalloides? Not sure at all (should watch it closer) and I'm not such a big expert though, but they both look pretty similar to some toxic amanitae.
:t I missed it by a nose!

You were close my friend but citrina (false death cap) as it name implies looks very similar to phalloides however citrina is still poisonous.
It has been said that it is possible to proses critina in a way to make it edible? But because it looks so similar to the death cap, the very idea of picking it would be foolhardy.

Reactions: glowworm
I thought that was Pantherina - but it is much lighter than the ones I've seen.

MMMMM my all time Pizza Topping . :naughty Psilocybe semilanceataty wicked:head

Last edited:
OK then, I have just collected these. What are they & can I eat them?

Attachments

• P1020641(1).JPG
    P1020641(1).JPG
    173.5 KB · Views: 374
Lepiota procera? Good to eat, in italian known as "Mazza di Tamburo" ("Drum stick").
Not sure though: check before eating!

:confused: Good question: how can I? All I know is that I would pick them as Mazze di Tamburo (procera) and cook them with rice, or with roast, or make a sauce and pour it on polenta (that's a sort of soft cornbread), or even eat it raw with olive oil and pepper (only the cap, not the leg that's too tough and spongy). :t

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT