• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Muzzle Not Straight-Ocean Hunter

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Rock Shooter

Sep 1, 2016
Hi guys and girls,

I’m relatively new to DeeperBlue and well spearfishing in general. I was wondering if I could pick your brains about a rather large problem of mine! :eek:

So recently I bought the Ocean Hunter Chameleon Railgun, (Cheap and Cheerful Chinese POS, but I didn’t know that at the time) and after a few uses I discovered that the spear didn’t ‘sit’ on/in the rail like the spear should. I thought it was a bit odd but as I’m new to spearfishing, so I didn’t really question it.

Now after a couple of months I looked at the gun properly and to my horror, I discovered the muzzle isn’t in line with the rail. It’s off by around about 10 degrees. This causes the shaft to bend a little to the side and sit high (2-3mm) and to the right (1-2mm), taking no advantage of the rail. This is all because of the screw at the bottom of the barrel underneath the muzzle, is not in the right position.

So I’m wondering what do I do? If I widen the hole and reposition the muzzle and the screw, doesn’t that mean the barrel will flood? I’m thinking about warranting it, would that be the best option? If you’ve got any other ideas please please PLEASE let me know.

Sorry if I said or asked anything against the rules or just plain dumb.

Kind Regards, :D

Jack

Take photos that totally define the problem (close-up head on view, etc) and attach to an email to the distributor describing the problem and ask for a replacement gun. Mention that you have considered posting these photos on the Net to alert others, but felt that they should have the chance to redeem themselves first.

Take photos that totally define the problem (close-up head on view, etc) and attach to an email to the distributor describing the problem and ask for a replacement gun. Mention that you have considered posting these photos on the Net to alert others, but felt that they should have the chance to redeem themselves first.
Thanks for the reply popgun pete :D
After recently going to my local dive store and looking at other sizes of the OH guns, I discovered that none of them sat on the rail, and the one that did was held down by two cable ties :ROFLMAO:
Serves me right for buying cheap stuff :whistle:
I will email the distributors, but I don't want to go through all that hassle and have a new gun with the same problem.

Thanks again for your advice :)(y)

Cheers
Rock Shooter

Generally on a railgun the barrel has plugs near each end which captures air inside providing buoyancy. The handle and the muzzle mounting hardware (screws etc.) are placed in the open ends of the pipe (in other words the plugs are internal). So water can enter via the screw holes, but it will not flood central portion of the barrel. The plugs might be 2-3 inches in from the ends - roughly.

I'm not sure I completely understand your problem, but if the muzzle was installed incorrectly and is twisted to be offset by 10 degrees, then the fix may not be difficult.

I would remove the screw.
Try to remove the muzzle so you can examine where the screw contacted the muzzle.
Then re-insert the muzzle and twist it into the correct orientation.
Insert the shaft to help with alignment.
Most likely you can drill a similarly sized hole in the barrel and then a small guide hole in the muzzle and insert the same screw.
As long as the screw is external to the plugs, you have little chance of causing a problem.

Reactions: Rock Shooter
Generally on a railgun the barrel has plugs near each end which captures air inside providing buoyancy. The handle and the muzzle mounting hardware (screws etc.) are placed in the open ends of the pipe (in other words the plugs are internal). So water can enter via the screw holes, but it will not flood central portion of the barrel. The plugs might be 2-3 inches in from the ends - roughly.

I'm not sure I completely understand your problem, but if the muzzle was installed incorrectly and is twisted to be offset by 10 degrees, then the fix may not be difficult.

I would remove the screw.
Try to remove the muzzle so you can examine where the screw contacted the muzzle.
Then re-insert the muzzle and twist it into the correct orientation.
Insert the shaft to help with alignment.
Most likely you can drill a similarly sized hole in the barrel and then a small guide hole in the muzzle and insert the same screw.
As long as the screw is external to the plugs, you have little chance of causing a problem.
Thanks for the reply,
When I tried to take a look into the muzzle I discovered that it was glued in and sort of plastic welded ( if that's possible):confused:
I'll post a picture in a second

I'm a little worried that I'll break the muzzle if I fiddle too much. Also the 'groove' in the muzzle is connected to the rail like its overlapping and has been melted..?

image.jpg

wrap some sand paper round your spear or any other rod of a similar diameter and try and sand the rail part of the muzzle down until it lines up properly

Reactions: Rock Shooter
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT