• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

My fiberglass speargun

akonvisher

Aug 16, 2015
Hey team! I wanna to show you my new homemade fiberglass speargun.
After a lot of investigation I found that almost no fabricated mass fiberglass arbaletes on the market and wanna know : why?
And to check is it possible I decided build one by myself.
Lets see this beatuifull speargun:
The barrel:
photo_2021-04-29_20-14-43.jpg

And the result:
photo_2021-05-26_15-16-59.jpg

Have to tell you: it is working well, great hardness and of course great balanced. The most important thing for me are: good moving side to side and maximum weight. That I did!

Reactions: Ropeworkuk
i remember a guy made a fibreglass speargun that looked like something the crew would have used on Jules Verne's "Nautilus". It was cartridge powered and he showed it on "The Inventors" program which was a half hour ABC TV show usually having three inventions per show. A panel of three judged each invention to produce a winner out of the three. From memory it was a Ramset cartridge powered speargun as was the Tapmatic SMG. Last I ever heard of it. Another gun from New Zealand, an arbalete, had a glass reinforced barrel, but I think that was a plastic moulding. The grip handle looked like a Sea Hornet cross pollinated with an Undersea trigger mech, but only ever saw one in photos.

I think carbon fibre pushed ideas of fibreglass guns aside, because like fishing rods once carbon fibre appears people went for the stronger material. Old fibreglass boat hulls may have soured thoughts of that material for spearguns. Although continual exposure to weather is something a speargun does not have to face, unlike a boat out on a mooring.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT