• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

My First BO/Samba...While Apneawalking

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

demasoni

Feb 3, 2005
I had my first BO/Samba today ever while apneawalking on grass in the local park. On was on the fifth rep of my usual set. I was walking into the wind with a noseclip on. Rest times between reps were from 2-4 min.

At around 2:15, somewhere between contractions 25-30, I remember that I lost count of my contractions and next thing I know air was sputtering out of my mouth and my head was bobbing up and down like a bobble head doll. I then began my recovery breathing.

I felt a pain on my right knee and looked down to see a scrape. I then realized that as soon as I lost count of my contractions I must have fell on my right knee, got up and continued to walk, because as I started to recovery breath, I was on my feet walking. I also looked down to find a wet mark on the front of my shorts! :)

Would this be considered an LMC or BO? Also, anyone else ever "wet" themselves while tolerating contractions?

Well, I guess "wetting" themselves while apnea walking isn't a that unusual sight after all. I think Todd made a topic about that a few months back.

And I'd count it as a LMC, as your head was "bobbing", like you said.

Also, anyone else ever "wet" themselves while tolerating contractions?
Ha ha ha, and you think I would admit that if I had? I have though found myself looking at a wonderful summersky wondering where I am, seeing all those treetops (I must be in a wood) then being a bit confused about my head hurting so much. And What am I doing here in this lovely wood? Why is my leg in such a funny angle. Have I been sleeping here on the ground?

After retracking my day I remembered that I had been training walking apnea.

Sebastian

I was apnea walking in a park by my house and I sudenly got really dizzy and lost vision and everything went silver for a second. thats the only thing like this that has ever happend to me

Reactions: spearheads
haha...sometimes i feel like i'm about to take a piss during walks but it never happens. yeah..you gotta safe...LOL the first time i woke up after a samba/whatever my head was bobbing soo hard on the floor...i was like wwttff but it kept on going for awhile. my mom freaked out and i laughed and said "what was i doing?"

It seems to be quite common to BO/samba while apnea walking - maybe that is because it is harder for blood to get to the brain while standing.

I have never done proper apnea walking, and I have been put off a bit by the number of accidents that others have described on DB. The possibility of hitting my head on the floor or landing on my face doesn't appeal to me... :crutch

Lucia

Reactions: spaghetti and Mr. X
I have never blacked out yet, but have been really close. I know I have reached my thresh hold when my vision dims like someone turned down the lights and then I get tunnel vision real bad.

This happened to me once. I was out apnea walking and suddenly woke up several thousand miles away as a completely different person. There were these people around who thought I was part of their family - a wife, a couple of kids. It was weird for awhile but they still let me go diving so I don't mind.

This happened to me once. I was out apnea walking and suddenly woke up several thousand miles away as a completely different person. There were these people around who thought I was part of their family - a wife, a couple of kids. It was weird for awhile but they still let me go diving so I don't mind.

Chris, I married my wife just because a tench told me to do that, so I see what you're saying.
But I never BO'ed and I'm with Naiad about apneawalking: a no-no for me.

Spaghetti

What is a 'tench'? If it is a type of fish - I well understand. I often take the advice of Carp. Very reliable.

Tench is a ciprinidae, same family of the carp: same wife et cetera. Very good in the oven, much less bony and less muddy tasting than carps. And talking to them (before ovening) prevents BO, as I can witness
http://fish.13rus.ru/images/fish/tinca_tinca.jpg
I once told the whole story on DB, just search for the word tench in the recipe section.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fondueset
Wonderful Story , Spaghetti. And good to know another who listens to carp!

Hey Dallasdiver,
When you got tunnel vision, how long did it last? Did you try to maintain the breath hold? Curious how long the interval is between tunnel vision and BO?

Connor

It was definitely a blackout, not a samba/LMC.

90% of blackouts are accompanied by a hypoxic seizure (samba/LMC), but they are still blackouts. If you have memory loss, it was a blackout.

Conner
When I start seeing the lights dim, I can continue for about another 30seconds to a minute of apnea walking. When my vision goes to a tunnel with dim lights after the 30 seconds, I start breathing. I am starting to feel faint at this point. I assume much longer and I would BO

That sounds like already quite severe hypoxia. Fading vision and tunnel vision are often experienced during LMC (although I have never experienced these myself).

Lucia

When I almost SWB'd I got the tinglies at 10' and was down to a 6" tunnel as I broke the surface. 3-4 sec max. At the rate the tunnel was closing, 1 maybe 2 sec more would have had me out. It was strange that I didn't feel the need to breathe.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT