• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

my first fish!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

afshapes

Jun 18, 2007
well here are my first fish, shot last week in mid wales, my first a mullet at 2.5 lbs and the second a bass which I didnt weight but must be 3lbs if its an ounce, both fish shot within five minutes of fishing which I have mixed feelings about as I barely had enough time to build up some excitment. I eat both fish and they were stunning, the first fish my family and I have eaten from our local waters!! This has given me a serious thirst for more fishing.

Attachments

• P1000744.jpg
    P1000744.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 179
  • P1000750.jpg
    P1000750.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 182
Reactions: Old Man Dave
Congratulations! Was it somewhere off Cardigan Bay? Beautiful scenery there.

well done! i'm still after my first bass. mind you i'm also still after my first bass sighting toorofl

Well done Andrew, my first fish was a small pollack of 1lb or so. I had no stringer so I put it on a rock while I carried on diving. When I swam back, two seagulls were eating it!If you get any more mullet try Foxfish's recipe for fishcakes on page 7 of the Irish thread.

yeah I am still reliving that moment cant wait for more!! to answer what gun did I use its a seacsub arrow 65 great gun seems to shoot exactly where I want it. In terms of the mullet I will look up the fish cake, however I have to say that one tasted somewhat like a prawn, sweet with a slightly seaweed taste to it!!:)

well here are my first fish, shot last week in mid wales, my first a mullet at 2.5 lbs and the second a bass which I didnt weight but must be 3lbs if its an ounce, both fish shot within five minutes of fishing which I have mixed feelings about as I barely had enough time to build up some excitment. I eat both fish and they were stunning, the first fish my family and I have eaten from our local waters!! This has given me a serious thirst for more fishing.

Your one of us now! There's no going back you know. If you try to leave you will be killed!

P.S Well done!

Last edited:
thanks all, not my first time out, probably the sixth or seventh time now!!!
can i ask though how do people dispatch fish quickly and humainly and easily, my first fish took a few beatings before it died!

easy, take ur knife and go straight down the middle of there heads, start from behind the eyes and move the knife 45 degrees down, it will twitch a bit, but this is nevers,

You can also slice through or tear out the gill filaments. It works on the same principle as severing a major artery in a human - blood pressure plummets and the fish essentially "goes to sleep".
And then wakes up in my stomach!rofl rofl rofl

great ! One person told me to tear the muscle that joins the body to the head underneath and then pull the fishes head back to break its neck, all seems to much like wrestling to me and with apsirations of catching a 10lbs bass I dont really fancy putting one in a head lock!!

thats more for mackrel when your fishing by rod,
sod a 10lb bass try it with a 36lb conger!!!!,

Reactions: foxfish
You can also slice through or tear out the gill filaments. It works on the same principle as severing a major artery in a human - blood pressure plummets and the fish essentially "goes to sleep".
And then wakes up in my stomach!rofl rofl rofl
rofl
Congratulations! What a great first trip. My first experience was similar, although not quite as successful: a bass & then a second -- but I lost the second as I'd put the safety catch on:naughty:head. The downside is you'll probably be hooked for life, the upside is...well you already know what that is.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT