• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

My homemade 120

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

leighdu

Feb 9, 2005
Here it is,
the barrel is jarrah with a sheoak handle.
im using an undersee trigger mech with a 7mm spear and a single 20mm rubber.

Attachments

• finishedhandle.jpg
    finishedhandle.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 318
  • finishedmuzzle.jpg
    finishedmuzzle.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:
Reactions: subaquaticus
Hi
I do like Jarrah, a freind of my husband uses it alot for woodturning.

Just like to point out though as a disclaimer from Deeper Blue that we DO NOT recommend that anyone try to shoot a speargun out of water and we will take NO responsibility if anyone tries. As was pointed out to me a few weeks ago what would happen if the spear reached the end of its shooting line at full velocity in air :rcard So trust your aunty Alison, its naughty!!

Nice stuff Leighdu. The time it takes to carve the handgrip and still leave room for the mechanicals is a bugger, ain't it?

Now as Alison said, the practice of loading and firing a speargun out of water is dangerous to the point of me needing to come to the threads aid with the disclaimer alreadt voiced by Alison- DO NOT LOAD OR FIRE A SPEARGUN OUT OF THE WATER!! The best case scenerio is that all you hurt is the hay bale and not the wall it's leaning against. Then it gets ugly.

If someone were to fire the thing with a shooting line attached, the speargun goes out and the merrily comes back at only a slightly slower speed, right at the muzzle, and you.

If the shaft shatters due to hitting the wall behind the bale, then you have lots of things to dodge. What has happened more often is that the wood, laminated or not, takes offense at the shock and decides to blow up. Splinters join the fray and then theres more blood on the carpet... follow?

So... while I commend your efforts, wait until you can get to a empty pool or pond or the ocean to unleash your new work. It's worth it.

Please send me a PM that you got this post as I'm going to need to do some editing here for the sake of the site's liability and don't want to make you feel that your stuff isn't appreciated, just unsafe in this case. Thanks.

hey Leighdu,
just wandering but by any chance could you perhaps
draw a sketch of your trigger mechanisim.thanx

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT