• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

My winter results...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

greendiver

Sea fanatic
May 2, 2005
Some pics after a cold winter spearing in Gibraltar...

The Horse mackerels were both speared in a single shot...it was murcy and green, I thought it was a bonito..unfortunately it was not ..but I was happy with the surprise...:)

The summer is coming...can not wait!!!

Greets!!!

Attachments

• 27.29 maart 06.JPG
    27.29 maart 06.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 206
  • 28.28 maart 06.JPG
    28.28 maart 06.JPG
    179 KB · Views: 182
  • 32.31 maart 06.JPG
    32.31 maart 06.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X and naiad
great catch :t
the Lobina one of my favorite fish , it is also tasty
nice winter time
Eyal

mundial said:
great catch :t
the Lobina one of my favorite fish , it is also tasty
nice winter time
Eyal

Yep!! very tasty, you got them in Israel aswell?

Nice fish. Well done. Any details; depth, gun used, technique etc. I'm one of those who likes to hear the full story.
Dave

yes we are:t
between janu-april
in what depth did you speared them?

Old Man Dave said:
Nice fish. Well done. Any details; depth, gun used, technique etc. I'm one of those who likes to hear the full story.
Dave

Hey Dave, here it comes... I used to go spearfishing during the summers in the Costa Brava, did not have a clue...you know yellow scuba fins rofl , a gun and chasing around the rocks with practically no results..rofl

One and a half year ago I moved to this place in Spain, next to Gibraltar ( I live a 1 minute walk from the boarder).
As you probably know this is a great place to fish, met some people, bought some gear etc..well I have been spearing every other day since..

This winter, I started to do do some deeper an longer espetto´s, and better prepared, and...the results are there.
I have not been able to make any big catches, my biggest catch was a small bonito and a few basses over 2 kg, but many...so I am improving:)

I use a 100cm Gabbiano with 20mm rrubbers, a bit to long for these green, murcy waters with a lot of current, I fish between 8 and 14 meters.
I like the Gabbiano, it is accurate, although it has some problems and , now the summer is coming, I will need a new gun, something a bit more powerfull.

I will have to work on using and combining more techniques, so I will be able to catch more variety,..it is funny though, doing these espettos, in march, I have caught only, basses, mackerels and a small bonito.

If I combine this a bit with acechos, I would probably catch other species aswell..

Well....still learning...:)

Reactions: Old Man Dave
Thanks for the info. Makes better reading. I mean it's actually about spearo'ing unlike a lot of chat on DB at the moment.

A middle aged musician, gambling, Dutchman, living in Spain and diving in a British foreign dependency - makes the world go round.What do your friends call you, Greendiver - appart from Lucky B**stard. :)

Here's one of my tales from last year that you might have/probably did miss.
[ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showpost.php?p=550992&postcount=54"]DeeperBlue Forums - View Single Post - Guernsey summer fishing[/ame]

Cheers

Dave

Old Man Dave said:
Thanks for the info. Makes better reading. I mean it's actually about spearo'ing unlike a lot of chat on DB at the moment.

A middle aged musician, gambling, Dutchman, living in Spain and diving in a British foreign dependency - makes the world go round.What do your friends call you, Greendiver - appart from Lucky B**stard. :)

Here's one of my tales from last year that you might have/probably did miss.
http://forums.deeperblue.net/showpost.php?p=550992&postcount=54

Cheers

Dave

Dave!! you should be a writer, bet you teach english!!
Damn, you are the fist person that calls me middle aged:) , yep, I feel privileged living, spearing in Spain, but my life is a bit, to say at the least, messy......if you think this it...I drive a car with polish number plates...rofl rofl

Another thing.., I have watched a couple of Spearfishing dvd´s and noticed people spearing mullets, do people eat mullets up north?, Over here people leave them alone, there are millions overhere..

nice going man! looks like you had some nice fish dinners over the winter months.

greendiver said:
Another thing.., I have watched a couple of Spearfishing dvd´s and noticed people spearing mullets, do people eat mullets up north?, Over here people leave them alone, there are millions overhere..
Some times they are delicious on a BBQ. It depends on the area they live in and their diet. If they feed near sewer pipes (don't know the exact term) they could taste like crap :yack
As Memo once said: "...they all carry a piece from you!!!!!!!" :yack

Greeny, I teach technology, but have got 3 English "O" Levels.

Speared a mullet today. Could have caught loads, but one for the pot was enough. They generally taste okay but as mentioned their habit of hanging around harbours, estuaries, drains and sewer pipes puts some people off.

If most people saw what pigs eat (including each others shit) then they'd never eat another pork chop.

Speared my mullet in the open sea well away from any nasties but while I wouldn't target them near sewers it doesn't bother me. They convert what they eat into firm white flesh, so I eat a few.

Mullet are often targeted in spearo competitions if the rules allow. This can lead to mass slaughter. One reason I'm no longer a comp spearo.

Spear one, try it and see what you think. It won't poison you. :yack

Sometimes I think mullet tastes better than bass. Bass costs ten times the price of mullet. It's a bit of a fashion thing. Twenty years ago Angler fish (monk fish) were only used to bait crab pots, now they're "in fashion" and posh restaurants serve them at a huge price. A similar thing is happening with gurnards. Perhaps it will be mullet next.

One last point. We've been talking about the common thick lipped grey mullet. The smaller rarer golden grey mullet has a different feeding system. It eats worms etc and is itself a delicious fish to eat. Much better than bass or bream, well in my opinion anyway.

Cheers

Dave :)

Reactions: Mr. X
One last point. We've been talking about the common thick lipped grey mullet. The smaller rarer golden grey mullet has a different feeding system. It eats worms etc and is itself a delicious fish to eat. Much better than bass or bream, well in my opinion anyway.
hi mate
this is the only mulat i am spearing

Old Man Dave said:
It still depends on the area. Golden gray mullet is the most common in our waters and they eat the same things the other mullets eat, including excrements :yack . But Dave is right that the fish's food is processed and if cleaned properly the meat can be vary tasty.
My favourite mullet to eat is the Мugil cephalus or Flathead mullet. It grows significantly bigger than the golden gray mullet and its meat is white and tender, but the taste depends very much on whether the fish spends time in fresh water or not.
In the Bulgarian coast of the Black Sea most of the mullets migrate to warmer waters in the autumn but some remain in the rivers or lakes during the winter. The taste of these fish is very different from those caught in the sea. Their meat is sweet and soft and I don't like it.
We have another kind of mullet Mugil soiuy or So-iuy mullet, which is a little yellowish with red eyes. It reportedly grows up to 20 kilos :hmm but the biggest I've seen was 6 kilos. They taste like crap :yack too much fat.

takeshi said:
nice going man! looks like you had some nice fish dinners over the winter months.

yep, one of the reasons why I like it so much here, the food here, especially the fish is fantastic.
Speared 2 basses today, a 1.5 kg Sargo, my buddy caught a huge octupuss, it must have been 1m 50 cm.

Old Man Dave said:
Greeny, I teach technology, but have got 3 English "O" Levels.

Speared a mullet today. Could have caught loads, but one for the pot was enough. They generally taste okay but as mentioned their habit of hanging around harbours, estuaries, drains and sewer pipes puts some people off.

If most people saw what pigs eat (including each others shit) then they'd never eat another pork chop.

Speared my mullet in the open sea well away from any nasties but while I wouldn't target them near sewers it doesn't bother me. They convert what they eat into firm white flesh, so I eat a few.

Mullet are often targeted in spearo competitions if the rules allow. This can lead to mass slaughter. One reason I'm no longer a comp spearo.

Spear one, try it and see what you think. It won't poison you. :yack

Sometimes I think mullet tastes better than bass. Bass costs ten times the price of mullet. It's a bit of a fashion thing. Twenty years ago Angler fish (monk fish) were only used to bait crab pots, now they're "in fashion" and posh restaurants serve them at a huge price. A similar thing is happening with gurnards. Perhaps it will be mullet next.

Ok Dave, I will give a shot, although I do not know what kind of mullets we have got around here.
I will post the pic sunday, you tell me what kind of mullet it is..
greets Mike!!

Cheers

Dave :)

Ok Dave, I will give a shot, although I do not know what kind of mullets we have got around here.
I will post the pic sunday, you tell me what kind of mullet it is..
greets Mike!!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT