• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Commentary Natalia Molchanova Helps To Conduct Freediving Research

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Dear All! This survey is now closed.
Thank you very much for your interest in participating in this survey.
Your time, effort and experience is indeed a contribution to the progress of freediving, we are all looking forward to the results of the study now.

I did fill in the extensive form, and I must say it was long. There are also a lot of double, and multiple times asked questions.

One thing I must note is that I have different favourite dives. Each favourite because of a different set of reasons.
For instance I had a record breaking static dive in Belgium, that was very different then all my other previous and later statics.
I had a very memorable recreational cwt dive in Spain. Also a few very memorable dives in Egypt. And also a very memorable cwt dive in Sweden. Each dive had different reasons why they are special to me.
In answering I considered all of them, so my answers are really a composite, not 1 dive.

About the questions themselves, some of them combined aspects, of which I only concurred with 1 of the listed parts.
Also the questioned assumed a different notion of spirituality than I have. I would like to see some definitions for the vital / key words of this survey.

The repetitive nature of the questions and length of the questionnaire made the test hard to complete.

I'm looking forward to the results, and the researcher's full questions and conclusions.
How will, or can this search benefit freediving, and or mankind?
Who is funding the search?

Thanks, I hope my feedback is appreciated.

Kars

Hi All! Thank you Kars for your feedback. This research has no funding and it is a collective effort : most of the contribution is coming from the freediving community, since the survey, like you said, is pretty long. I initiated it out of curiosity "how they do it?" and immediately got support from my employer (a hitech vibraton monitoring company), from Natalia, and from Dr Roland Griffiths' scientific team at Johns Hopkins Medicine. All are trained scientists here, so we do our best to stick o.k. to strict ethical guidelines. For the moment commenting the survey in-detail would be biasing it, please Kars wait a little until the survey would collect the needed amount of answers.
:--) Andy

(translated by me, e-mail from NM was in Russian)

Dear Fellow Freedivers!

We believe our sport is beyond just being a sport or just an outdoor
recreational activity, since it can induce a very special feeling of
harmony. This may be due to a combined influence on the brain of
breath holding and deepwater pressure. Our research is aiming to
better understand this effect, and to learn whether it happens to
virtually every human, or just a few sensible ones. It is tempting to
believe freediving do help to change/improve humans. Please support
the research by answering a detailed anonymous questionnaire about
your freediving experience : http://goo.gl/LtrGXg

Yours,
Natalia Molchanova

hi. Please All, re-post and contribute to this survey initiated by Natalia last year. After a few months of sadness and inactivity, I pulled myself back-in to analyse the data and to write a report, as promised. Sorry for the delay. And I found we only have half of the data for a reliable factor analysis, and we lack approximately 150 respondents. You were many to respond, almost 0.2% of the estimated/supposed freedivers' community. Please, those who intended and postponed to complete the survey. contribute now? It is about your special feelings in a dive.
Many thanks,
Andy Tutrin

was (copy from Mars 14, 2015)

Dear Fellow Freedivers!

We believe our sport is beyond just being a sport or just an outdoor
recreational activity, since it can induce a very special feeling of
harmony. This may be due to a combined influence on the brain of
breath holding and deepwater pressure. Our research is aiming to
better understand this effect, and to learn whether it happens to
virtually every human, or just a few sensible ones. It is tempting to
believe freediving do help to change/improve humans. Please support
the research by answering a detailed anonymous questionnaire about
your freediving experience : http://goo.gl/LtrGXg

Yours,
Natalia Molchanova

Reactions: Kars
Freediving research with Natalia Molchanova, 2014-2020, preprint report released

Dear freedivers! Naive hope of "secret ingredient for setting records" got me into this research. Natalia in 2014 agreed to investigate it together. Many of you did helped. Several ideas were discarded as unrelated or obvious, from dopamine to mindfulness. We ended up with a "mystical love" murky hypothesis. People reported it being "as important as the birth of one's first baby or the death of a parent", and in 2020 four peer-reviewed journals dismissed our report as unimportant for publication. It felt unjust. It is true that further investigations of this proven freedivers' mystical love are interesting: role of CO2 and set-and-setting, mystical freediving for better business, endogenous dmt hypothesis. The already done small step though took more dedication and more years than we'd expected. Big thanks to hundreds of freedivers who contributed! Sorry for having made you wait. For initial data and science to be open source, and to repay the debt to freedivers, here is a preprint the best we could write. Further outcomes are bigger than what we are able to do alone. Please feel welcome to take over, to comment, critique, suggest journal editors for this report to get a peer-reviewed publication. Feel welcome to redo yourself the math to verify our results, and encourage young neuroscientists and business researchers and sociologists to join in. You may want to support Florian Lecaer who in his business school is starting a thesis following this project, or you may try to lure Dr Attila Szabo back into "lungs-dmt against hypoxia" research. Hope more research will follow, and hope having completed my part. Much love. Andy.

Ref: PsyArXiv freediving report preprint:
http://doi.org/10.31234/osf.io/b7mnz

Ref: about the Freediving Federation:
https://freediving.ru/about-us/index.php

Pic: NM and AT at the diving medical conference
"Médecine de Plongée" in Toulon France, 2013
8FDE4917-B001-444A-A3D6-7763B4CF94E4.jpeg

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT