• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Neck-weight for CWT

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

derelictp

Freediver
Oct 16, 2001
Hi,

I am trying to make a neckweight suiting Constant weight.

There are 2 main problems to overcome that is not present in dynamic apnea:

1. When relaxing lying on the back I dont want the weight to hang on the neck avoiding the strangeling effect, I want to use 2,25kg.

2. When in vertical position on the descent, I dont want the weight to move down to the chin, I want it to be at the base of the neck...

Not easy.

I have a solution with a rubber strap around the breast that puts the weight in position but there may be other solutions.

Martin Stepanek seemed to have a solution, check his 80m CNF-video, maybe this is the best???

Have you thought about this problems? Do you have a good solution to share?

Hi Derelict,
the new rules, (if or when they finally come in?!) state it has to be quick release. So you can't use the rubber strap.
For training and I have used a wetsuit vest, (under my suit), with 2 1 pound weights atached to the chest. The vest had nylon outside and I used the special Iron on heat tape to attach it. Worked really well, was comfortable and didn't get in the way. Though I did cop some comments from people laughing at my square boobs :D :D

Of course this is not quick release, would be valid for record attempts but not competitions. I think the quick release thing for competitions is stupid anyway. The weight most people use is so small it doesn't make much difference for a recovery. Even more important is that it's actually dangerous to drop it !
Why you say ?
Well if the deep safety guy, waiting at 100m cops a weighbelt on the head it would not be good. :hmm I do not see a safe way to ditch a weightbelt in a comp or a record attempt. Wouldn't it be easier if there was one set of rules for both records & comps... :duh

Sorry got off topic. The only other thing I can think off that would be legal is to just use a lighter neckweight and have some on the belt. I tried it with just a 2pound neckweight, is light enough to not get in the way, but still really helps you sink straight.

Cheers,
Wal

Reactions: DeepThought
derelictp said:
Hi,

I am trying to make a neckweight suiting Constant weight.

There are 2 main problems to overcome that is not present in dynamic apnea:

1. When relaxing lying on the back I dont want the weight to hang on the neck avoiding the strangeling effect, I want to use 2,25kg.

2. When in vertical position on the descent, I dont want the weight to move down to the chin, I want it to be at the base of the neck...

Not easy.

I have a solution with a rubber strap around the breast that puts the weight in position but there may be other solutions.

Martin Stepanek seemed to have a solution, check his 80m CNF-video, maybe this is the best???

Have you thought about this problems? Do you have a good solution to share?

Why don't you try following system : a pair of ankle weights (2 X 0.500 KG) tied together ; put this around your neck... it is quite comfortable... lying on your back there is no strangling effect since the contact of the ankle weights with your neck is soft....

with head down it is at the same time sufficiently tight and sufficiently soft to be comfortable... it moves a little bit along your neck but it is no problem...

you can add a second pair of ankle weights around your neck and then you have 2 KG ....

Reactions: derelictp
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT