• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Clark.

Dec 25, 2012
Right so I'm needing a opencell wetsuit for spearfishing I think?, but I live in Southampton and will be spearing on the south coast so I know it's going to be cold! So I would like to spear from march to oct/Nov so I've looked and the water can get as low as 5.8'c/42.4F to maybe to 12'c/50.2F. So I'm asking for advice on what thickness to get and what type. I would like to use it all year round so I'm wondering if I could get a 5mm and then some sort of under suit that might add some thickness for very cold days?

Any help would be great. Links to items would be great as well so I can see the items and see how they might go together.

Cheers

Why is an open cell better for spearfishing? I use a closed cell for watersports a lot up north, easy to get into and out of, very comfortable unlike opencells. I've never had to use a wetsuit to spearfish since I picked up the sport now that I live in Miami so maybe I am missing something.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I use a 5mm two piece closed cell inner spearfishing suit by Cressi and its fine for the temperatures you will experience just don't expect to be able to stay out for the same length of time that you could in the summer for instance. I got a suit with high trousers as apposed to farmer Johns although for more warmth around your torso, farmer Johns would be better. 5.8 degrees is the extreme record I would say on the south coast and you are unlikely to come across it, the average lowest will be around 7 to 8 degrees. Get decent gloves and socks or boots, I find that in 7 to 8 degree water I need 5mm socks and gloves. If you need to make holes for hood squeeze don't go too big, I did, bad mistake, the water will flush in and go straight down your back. Easily repaired but learn from my mistake ;)

I am in the water all year round and for me, inner open cell two piece suits for spearfishing are a no brainer, I can swim in an Orca tri suit for an hour in an 8 degree sea before I get too cold and in a closed cell O'Neil 5/4 I can surf for as long as I want to. Spearfishing involves a lot of floating around, relaxing for a breath hold and water drags the heat from your body between 25 to 27 times faster than air. Beware cold water in equipment not designed for the job, your legs can go from good to useless real quick, I know, its happened to me a few times!!

Good luck and dive safe ;)

I use two piece 7mm cressi spearfishing suit with waist trousers and 5mm gloves and socks. If I'm too cold in the summer I just let water into the suit. Similar setups are used by my buddies.

I guess if you are based in under an hour from your diving spots then 5mm would be fine. I live in London so when we do go fishing we can't afford to drive for 3-4 hours one way to only spend 1.5-2 hours in the water.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Clark.
I dive around North Wales, so similar temperature, though probably slightly colder and have a 5mm and a 7mm open cell. I use the 7mm in all but the warmest conditions, but you can easily flush the suit to regulate your temperature. The only downside to using the 7mm is if you're doing any particularly deep diving, say beyond 30m, as you'll need extra weight to offset the buoyancy of the suit, but then become too heavy at depth, due to the compression of the suit. My advice would be to go with the 7mm open cell.

Last edited:
Thank you for all your advice it seems to be all abit different but it's good to hear different people's advice so thank you.

Keep your advice coming in!

I use a 7mm open cell. Closed cell doesn't keep you warm for long enough up in the Puget sound. You need to learn to take care of it, let it dry inside out and use cheap conditioner to get inside it. Otherwise that it's like having seal skin. You need weights but you'll swim like a dolphin.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT