• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

need advice :]

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

prench

Jul 20, 2006
Well hello everyone, my name is Phillip!
Where I work I free dive everyday, but I have a swim test coming up in a week for shamu trainer at seaworld, and I need some pointers to start getting ready for it.
First off here is what I have to do.
-26ft & 36ft free dive
-swim 100yds, 1 breathe, and swim 110ft underwater
-20 push ups, haha
-and a speech I have to give.

The dives im not to worried about, Ive been practicing 17ft dives and swimming 30ft or so under water at the bottom at my work (discovery cove)
But I am worried about the 100ft swim underwater, I have no problem with the 100yd swim, but once I am done obviously im breathing a little heavy and they expect me to take one breath go under and swim 110ft. What can I do to prepare for this? I have already started by swimming close to 1000yds a day and the dives, but how can I really improve my breathing capacity greatly in one week? I have timed myself and so far the longest I can hold my breath is for a 1:45 before my stomach starts contracting, also how do yall get past this stage, because I know you can go for a lot longer.
Best regards,
Phillip Rench

Hi Philip,
You could try working a CO2 table in the pool as long as you have someone to watch you and knows what to do if the s- hits the fan.
Check out the link below
[ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=64959"]How to start Freediving[/ame]

haha yea, ive been working on it a bit today, I have a sinus cold right now, but im up to holding my breath for 2mins and 15 sec. its obviosly different in the water though while swimming. Basically what I need to learn is how to change from swimming freestyle with a high heart beat, taking one breath, and swimming 110ft under water. I also need to work on swimming faster underwater too. I have to do all of this in 55 degree water too. eeks

so today i went freediving in blue springs, fl and I still have a cold but i was able to get down to 45ft without flippers which I thought was pretty good, I probally could have gone farther, but I didnt want to risk it with the cold, next time I go I would like to get to 60 ish.
Phillip

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT