• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Need Help Choosing a gun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Hypersquid1

Ride The Lightning
Jun 15, 2005
Hi everybody!
I am new at spearfishing and i dont know what gun to choose. I am younger and i dont have a whole lot of money. (about $400 at the most) I kind of was looking at the gun market and narrowed it down Riffe and JBL. i am trying to choose between a Riffe Metal Tech #0 or #1 and a JBl Magnum 38 Special. i am going to be spearing off the coast of Rhode Island, mostly around rocks and sandy bottoms. the main fish i will be targeting will be stripers, bluefish and maybe some big scup and blackfish. If possible i would like to get the JBL gun because it is considerably cheaper, although i would be willing to save a few extra pennies and get the Riffe. I was reading in the forums before i joined, and i think i heard somebody say that the Riffe guns have much better penetration than the JBL, which i think i would like a bit more. PLease respond as i would like to choose a gun by the end of the month to get half a season out of it! i would also like to say that i can buy a gun and easily upgrade if i need a better one. i think i will go with a Riffe competetor gun because they dont look as expensive and i will be able to upgrade to the MT later.

THanks.
Hypersquid1

P.S. this thread is also in the INTRODUCING YOURSELF section

Last edited:
in all honesty, I would consider a euro stlyed gun for your hunting conditions. Check out Wong railguns at www.wongspearguns.com , or Omer guns at omerdiving.com

Both make great guns that will be easier to handle and easy on the pocketbook as well. I would thing something in the 80-100cm range would do fine. Good luck.

If money is an issue and you still want a wooden gun , my pick would be the Hawaii Skin Dive yookoji gun. The prices for the rear handle goes from 340 US (44 inches) to 370 (55 inches) , I think they are better then the riffe guns.
The 44 inches is a little smaller then a 90 cm euro gun (murky water only), for you may be the 50 or 55 inches. The come with two bands and shaft (9/32).

The price on the middle handle range from 380 usd (50 inches) to 400 usd (58 inches).

But if you want to go cheap you can get a sporasub black viper for less then 100 usd on the scuba store.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT