• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Need help for choosing mask

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

berke45

Jan 18, 2023
Hello everyone, I'm going to buy a new mask, but I need help choosing.
I can't dive very often, I usually snorkel on the surface.Comfort and viewing angle are important to me when choosing a mask.The mask I used before was no name, but it was of good quality, I used it for about 8 years.
I did some research and identified a few models:
1. Cressi Calibro HD mirrored
2. Cressi Bigeyes Evo
3. Cressi Matrix
Which one would you recommend and why?
sorry for my bad english

Here is an idea - if you foresee a diminishing eyesight - get a mask that accepts prescription lenses. That would eliminate masks with one large glass. As far as mirrored - it is for hunters that do not want thei prey to see their eyes. Not sure that you need it - it reduces light transmission. Try as many as you can to mke sure they do not leak. I use a Chinese mask that I paid 14 dollars for that accepts optical lenses that are symmetrical so they can be used either on the left or the right. I am happy with it. This mask is sold as Omer Abalon as many Chinese $5 dollar masks are sold under brand names for $30 +

Here is an idea - if you foresee a diminishing eyesight - get a mask that accepts prescription lenses. That would eliminate masks with one large glass. As far as mirrored - it is for hunters that do not want thei prey to see their eyes. Not sure that you need it - it reduces light transmission. Try as many as you can to mke sure they do not leak. I use a Chinese mask that I paid 14 dollars for that accepts optical lenses that are symmetrical so they can be used either on the left or the right. I am happy with it. This mask is sold as Omer Abalon as many Chinese $5 dollar masks are sold under brand names for $30 +
No, I don't have eye problems. I think I explained myself wrong. I'm talking about the field of view of the mask above

Does anyone have any suggestions from the above 3 models? i will buy it in a few days

Does anyone have any suggestions from the above 3 models? i will buy it in a few days
I own the Cressi Calibro and it's one of the few masks that works for me. It has great field of view for me compared to other low volume masks.
The Cressi Nano is another that fits me well, but the field of view isn't as good.

A good in-between for me was the Gull Mantis LV. Very comfortable and decent field of view.

I'm no mask expert, but here are my thoughts after owning a bunch of masks:
- Find one that fits you comfortably. Go to a store and try them on and create a suction with your nose to test for leaks.
- Normally the low volume masks do not fit as comfortably as the larger volume ones. It's a trade off on field of view..
- I agree with the last comment about the mirrored lens. It's not something you need if you're just snorkeling.
- If you don't have access to a store to try them on, see if any online stores accept returns after purchasing. It's a slower process.

Higher costs masks don't make them better for you. You need to try them on. What works for one person may not work for another. Between my dive friends and I, no one uses the same mask.

Personally, I do think Cressi and Gull are good brands to look at. There are definitely other brands to consider.

Reactions: berke45
I own the Cressi Calibro and it's one of the few masks that works for me. It has great field of view for me compared to other low volume masks.
The Cressi Nano is another that fits me well, but the field of view isn't as good.

A good in-between for me was the Gull Mantis LV. Very comfortable and decent field of view.

- Find one that fits you comfortably. Go to a store and try them on and create a suction with your nose to test for leaks.
- Normally the low volume masks do not fit as comfortably as the larger volume ones. It's a trade off on field of view..
- I agree with the last comment about the mirrored lens. It's not something you need if you're just snorkeling.
- If you don't have access to a store to try them on, see if any online stores accept returns after purchasing. It's a slower process.

Higher costs masks don't make them better for you. You need to try them on. What works for one person may not work for another. Between my dive friends and I, no one uses the same mask.

Personally, I do think Cressi and Gull are good brands to look at. There are definitely other brands to consider.
I'll buy from Amazon so return is not a problem.
The part I need help with is what exactly are the differences between these three masks? I could not fully understand from the explanations made on Cressi's site. I understand Bigeyes evo is an enhanced version of the Matrix. In addition, the Calibro has a skate anti-fog system. But I couldn't decide which one to buy.

I'll buy from Amazon so return is not a problem.
The part I need help with is what exactly are the differences between these three masks? I could not fully understand from the explanations made on Cressi's site. I understand Bigeyes evo is an enhanced version of the Matrix. In addition, the Calibro has a skate anti-fog system. But I couldn't decide which one to buy.
Owning the Calibro, I'll tell you that anti-fog thing doesn't really help much, so don't put too much thought into that. That anti-fog triangle thing is super soft, so it doesn't bother me at all and it may help some on the fogging end, but it still fogs. To me it's mostly because my face is so close to the lens. So I use anti-fog spray every time. Works great.

One way to do it is just buy all three of those mask and return the ones you don't want.
Cressi isn't really consistent with their website info and I agree that it's hard to understand the differences.

While you tend to get better viewing angles with lower volume masks, they're less comfortable and fog easier. That's just my experience. That said, the Calibro is very low volume and I wouldn't go back to my more comfortable masks. The low volume has been really helpful on my deeper dives.

Hopefully other people can comment on their experiences with your mentioned masks or other ones.

Reactions: berke45
Hi “berke45

Concerning fogging, please look => here

I translated the main part below

"But, since toothpaste and flame only cure "glass", it's not durable.

The demonstrators seem to ignore that it is on the skirt of the mask that there will remain traces of silicone (*) which after a few weeks will migrate to the lenses with the risk of fogging which will return.

(*) silicone that is sprayed into the molds of injection molding machines to facilitate the extraction of the molded skirt from the mold of the press."

Please ask me if you need others translations
Calibro seems to be a very good mask(y)

Do you happen to have a thinner face? I'm considering the Calibro because on the cressi size guide it show the meter more towards the thin size. I have problems with every mask leaking and I think its due to my thinner face profile. You mentioned it fits you well and I'm trying to get some more info before I purchase one. I'm currently diving with the cressi metis and it leaks quite badly.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT