• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

need help (please)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

jwells1989

Feb 21, 2007
hi all,
i have just recently started spearfishing and just had a few questions that i thought you guys could possibly answer.
i live in east sussex and usually spear around brighton and was just wondering when the best time to start spearfishing again was, i was thinking around mid to the end of march or am i still thinking a bt early. any help would be aprciated
thanks

Hi Jwells.

How are you doing? we are in the same boat as you, I'm from folkestone ,The only things stopping you from getting out there is not haveing the right wetsuit, and the poor visibility. last year I had an earley start at the beginning of march,and I last went out the day before Christmas eve. Can't wait to go out again, I think you just have to keep an eye out for an oppertunity. If it stays still for long enough,and it dosn't rain (no sediment washed to sea) and the Tides are on Neaps we could go out Now!.........But what are the chances of that? Spring will come. good luck Bro.

Last edited:
hi tony,
thanks for the info, i have not been in for about 3 months now and just can't wait to get back in there. what was the water temperature like when you went in the day before christmas eve and what wetsuit do you have, oh and did you spear any fish. i am going to go in the next available time which will probably be the beggining of march because we are having some really strong winds at the moment, but keep me posted if you go in before then, thanks

Hi, I live in Brighton too. I have been in this year already but conditions were not great. I would usually starting diving again mid to end of march. It will be cold 8-9c so you need a good suit. I have just got a new Elios 5mm suit, I will use the jacket all year round, but do use 3mm trousers in the summer, good gloves and boots are also a must. The bonus is that there are some big bass about.

Regards Kev

hi kev i have just brought a billabong all in one surfing wetsuit which is also 5mm ( i do bodyboarding aswell), i also got the gloves, boots and hood so should be alright for march. i live in brighton and usually spear around the pier area but was thinking of trying the rockpools at rottingdean out because the water get realy clear over there and it looks like a really good place to go.
where do you usually go spearfising as i have never seen anybody else spearfishing in brighton before.
thanks josh

hi everyone
i was out last month in portland harbour the water was 8deg wanted to try my new boat out! i stayed in till i couldnt feel my feet! didnt see a single fish but checked out a few spots for later in the year! o and found a load of scallops which was well worth freezin my nuts off!

hey scottie3030,
thats what put me off going in this winter, how deep did you dive and what was the vis like. i have never dived around portland as i live in brighton but know that portland is good for spearfishing.
was hoping to try portland this summer, as we will be going around this summer so hopefully will try it out.
cheers josh

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT