• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Need help with Ontario spearfishing regulations

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Whitelightnin

Sep 29, 2006
Can anyone help me with finding out what the regulations are concerning spearfishing in Eagle Lake. I have looked through all the Ontario stuff I can find and am still clueless. Anyone???

Thanks
James
user_online.gif

You just can't spearfish in Ontario. Nowhere in Ontario! I know, it's sad, but it's like that.

I don't have any idea where you live, but a ride in Québec could be your best solution if you're not too far. Good regulations here, and awesome speafishing too

Would you please post a link to these rules on Ontario. Thanks

Last edited:
spearfishing is illegal in ontario. in some seasons you can spear coarse fish, from ABOVE the water with a hand spear or bow. there is NO provisions for spearfishing while free or scuba diving. there is a heafty fine if you are caught.

I don't doubt you. I collect these links and have not found one for Ontario.
BTW I am trying to collect links for all countries. I have all of the US.

I need help with a somewhat complicated situation, am in the process of moving and desperately need a bit of help please.
I am from Denmark, where spearfishing is legal and one does not need a permit to own such equipment. I currently live in Singapore, where I need a permit to own spearfishing equipment. I have a couple of such pieces, and the permit for them. Am in the process of moving to Cayman, where it is totally illegal to even own spareparts for such equipment.

I had hoped that I could send the stuff over to family in Toronto, as I plan to vacation in Canada, and hoped to spearfish there.
Can you please advise as to whether it is illegal to possess such equipment in Ontario? I mean, do the regulations specify that you cannot own, or just that you cannot use the equipment? My reason for asking is - can I send the stuff over to the family, pick it up and go to Quebec and do some spearfishing?
I am due to move in a few days, have been grappling with the issue and really need help.

Another issue is that neither the postoffice nor fedex will transport the items for me. I plan to travel Singapore-Cayman, and the only option I seem to have is to destroy the equipment!

There is absolutely no problem with spearfishing material anywhere in Canada. You can't spearfish in Ontario, but there's no law about the equipment. Ship it in Toronto, and use it in Québec once there.

And for the shipping, I doubt that the shipping companies won't ship your stuff to Canada...try UPS or DHL

In regards to the Ontario spearfishing regulations, this thread is really old but I stumbled upon it while looking for good sites in Ontario. I just purchased a fishing license for Ontario a couple of weeks ago and while reading the booklet of regulations that is provided, there is a section on spearfishing. The only law which you have to follow in Ontario is that you must be 30meters or approximately 100feet away from ANY body of land, ie, islands, beaches, shores, etc.

In regards to the Ontario spearfishing regulations, this thread is really old but I stumbled upon it while looking for good sites in Ontario. I just purchased a fishing license for Ontario a couple of weeks ago and while reading the booklet of regulations that is provided, there is a section on spearfishing. The only law which you have to follow in Ontario is that you must be 30meters or approximately 100feet away from ANY body of land, ie, islands, beaches, shores, etc.

Hey Tyre,
Do you mind telling me where you read this!! Maybe I'll be able to take up spearfishing!

Hi Geck, I called the ministry to make absolutely sure what exactly these regulations meant because they are a little bit vague. They told me that as long as your more than 30m away (for the safety of swimmers, etc.) and as long as you follow the exceptions of each lake. Pike is always illegal to spear, walleye is ok for example. Some lakes may have special exceptions to spearfishing but I did not find many. I have already been spearfishing a few times this year, myself with a custom made Hawaiian sling and my friend with a manning custom made pole-spear. You don't need to go out and pay $200 for a good spear, you can make your own for around $10 that is just as effective for our waters. Were not exactly in the Carribean here, but If you know where to go, even in Ontario, you can have the time of your life.
Enjoy.

Reactions: Erik
Cheers Tyre!

Bass and Pumkinseeds here I come! If you're ever in the Kingston area you're welcome to drop me a line.

Thanks

So it is OK to hunt with a rifle on Ontario but it is restricted to spearfish with a gun which has no more than 5 meters range? And they are asking you need to be 30 meters away from the swimmers. I want from that gun too.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT