• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Need info about Cape Verde

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Daić

Nov 28, 2006
During new year holydays I and my girlfriend plan to do 14 to 20 day spearfishing trip to Cape Verde. But before I go there I would like to have some information. What kind of license do I need, are there any national parks or protected areas? Where can I get any contact for more information? Dos someone know any local spearfisher? Any danger of sharks? Has someone of you already been there.

Thanks for your answers. When I return I share all useful information with you.
Jure

Spaghetti tanx for the links. Informations are very usefull!!!

Jure

Cape verde is easy for spearfishing, the locals in Santa Maria, Sal island, go blue water hunting on a daily basis.
You will need to speak some portugees/creole to communicate properly, french could help as well.
If you go the old wooden piere in sta maria at 5h45 in the morning just ask the locals about joining them, offer to pay for thier fuel, taking some diving socks/gloves or a new face as an exchange for diving works like a dream.
The boats go out for 6-8hours, expect to dive a lot.

When I was there we used flashers and chum, with 50+ hours in the water, I did not see a single shark. I think the chinees soup makers paid the island a visit.

cheers Paul.

Remember, take a visa card (mastercard = useless) and cash(exchange at the internetshop up from joe banane's restuarant = honest rates and no commission), going to the bank takes 5 hours.

Interesting about the sharks! I guess for those who dont want to dive with them it is a good thing but what a terrible thing to happen.
Sal, back in 1999 & 2001 was the most sharky place I have ever visited, in fact the huge tigers that swam close to shore at night, under a bright moon, were quite visible from the beach.
The locals would gut their catch on the old wooded pier & the second night fall arrived so did the sharks!

Reactions: spaghetti
Tanx for all information. What about every day costs? Apartments, food in shops,…. How much does it normally cost to join locals on boats?
What about spearfishing in shallow water? By girlfriend doesn’t like blue water hunting. Is there any fish in the shore? Are there any regulations or licenses for spearfishing? What idea about water temperature at this time of year?
Once again thanks for all the answers!!! You help me a lot.
Jure

Sorry for the late answer,
Appartments/hotel cost between 35-40 euro's / night.
There are no regulations.
Fish in shore are few and far between, if you hire a car/bike and go away for the towns you will certainly find fish, the west coast looked promising. south of baracona.
The the locals dont ask for money to go with them, just take some basic equipment and help with the fuel costs.
You will need a 5mm siut, its more the wind that cool you down.

Cheers Paul

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…