• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Need new shaft

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Murat

Promethian
Jun 21, 2002
I lost my 75 xm T20's shaft today. The shooting line was cut somehow. And i was too lazy to take off the gloves and tie it again. There was also fish sitting on the ledge of the cave. I decided to do some freeshaft:D . The fish was small spinefoot, i thought i will not need shooting line to get it. Anyway i shoot but spear jump from the rock and go inside the another cave that behind of the rock. The cave has small entrance to get the shaft. It was a bit wide also. As a result i had to left the spear there.

Now i will buy another shaft i am thinking about Cressi Shaft that has more bent resistance than omer. 6mm cressi shafts was highly resistant against the bent but i will but 6.5mm. I think they are newer generation than 6mm, are they good like 6mm ones?

I'm happy with my 6mm cressi shaft, so far I have some heavy rock shots but not even a small bend. I only sharpen the tip from time to time.

What length of flopper do your Cressi shafts bring as standard?

I find they are shorter than other brands

The flopper is 7.3cm long. I've jusst measured it :D

I ve measured the whole lenght of it. If I measure it from the spearshaft to end it becomes... 6.8cm

Cressi ones we got over here are shorter than that even. Good for small fish but more powerful fish can get away.

sure. I have a spare 6.5mm double flopper shart as well but I dont use it. Generally speaking I'm satisfied with the cressi shaft performance but it seems to whobble alot with the g20 rubber :(

Cressi 6mm shafts are very flexible. They don't work too wel if overpowered. They don't bend but are innaccurate over long distances due to the wobble. Thats why I changed to Picasso 6mm and Omer 6.3mm

From the cressi catalog i see two kind of 6.5mm shaft. One is shiny steel other is black/dark colured. So are those shafts are resist bent as good as 6mm? I like 6mm too but this gun has powerfull 18mm omer bands so whobble may happens.

If they are the same typr of S-Steel it should be even more bend resistant due to the thicker shaft. It should also wobble less but the extra weight means slower shaft speed. Not good if you like sniping small to meduim sized fish.

Murat can you get the Devoto shafts over there?

No i don't have devoto here. I am also thinking about 6mm shaft but the power 18 bands are really strong. If the 6mm shaft wobble under that load it will be totally useless.

I have been using the Riffe Euro shaft(6.75mm)...i have only bent one and the others have held up really well. I would reccommend the OMER 6.3 shaft for your 75 though. It has the recessed flopper and is super accurate. I have also seen it abused in the rocks on some pretty big fish and it never bent. I'm not sure if that is the shaft that comes with the T20 or not. I know it was standard on the alluminum 75.

The Omer 6.3 does get bent if shot into a rock. The recessed flopper removes a lot of the structural strength and it always bends in the same place. On the other hand the steel used is extremely stiff and for long shots in open water it is excellent. The shaft does not wobble.

I use 20mm bands with it and it shoots really straight. I have used Cressi G20 and Metalsub 20mm which are even more powerful. What type of fish are you tackling?

If they are large fish I would go for a 6.5mm. I lost a huge grouper due to the lack of penetration power on an Omer 6.3. Up to 5 kilo fish I would go for the 6.3. Any bigger and move up to the 6.5mm.

Caught anything big lately?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT