• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Need new shaft

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
no :(

I've seen a very large grouper (~20kgs) at my last dive trip but couldnt get a chance to take a shoot. I did whatever I know but black-head did not respond :)

by the way 6.3 will be my bet then :)

Keep me informed if you catchb anything big. A friend of mine caught a 38kilo AJ in my normal fishing area. Reel got stuck at 18 metres deep and had to wrestle the fish to the surface. Dangerous EH!!!!!

Aj wrestling!! :D sounds like fun.
I'm now renewing my equipment and probably my first dive will be at the end of november but sure I'll inform you about big catches :)

Originally posted by Mattedhead
I have been using the Riffe Euro shaft(6.75mm)...i have only bent one and the others have held up really well. I would reccommend the OMER 6.3 shaft for your 75 though. It has the recessed flopper and is super accurate. I have also seen it abused in the rocks on some pretty big fish and it never bent. I'm not sure if that is the shaft that comes with the T20 or not. I know it was standard on the alluminum 75.

Man i am using 6.3mm shaft on my Alluminium 100 and i think not twice but three times before shooting rocky place. I bent first one at first dive. Those shafts are REALLY soft not good for rock shooting. But if you hunt in open areas they are great really fast and deadly accurate.

For Riffe shaft, 6.75mm is not the diameter that i wish to use for that gun and hunting. Second it cost as much as half of the gun's price.:naughty So that kind of shaft can not be waste for rock shooting.

And T20 comes with standart 6.5mm SS OMER shaft.

Hey shaca i doubt if 6.3mm shaft is no enough for 5kg grouper.

Personally i never had that oportunity but i remmember my cousin get one around 3-4 kg one even with 6mm cressi shaft.

The 6 kilo pointed nose grouper in my pics was caught with a 6.3mm shaft. All i was pointing out was that if bigger fish are being targeted a thicker shaft will ensure that you can go through the fish and not injure the fish and then it escaping. I have a video where Giorgio Dapiran catches a 50 kilo tuna with a 6mm shaft, but these are exceptional cases.

Yeah i am with you about this but if i see 5kg grouper in my gun's range and with 6.3mm shaft i never think to shot it or not.

I didn't think either when I shot that huge grouper in the head with the 20mm bands but the shaft never went through and the grouper managed to free itself. Annoying experience!!!!

With my 6mm cressi shaft I usually shoot at a distance between 2.5-3m. Whole spear tends to pass through the body of fish if the target is under 1 kg but if its over 2 kgs, it stops at the middle. I think It will not penetrate through the other side if fish is over 8kgs at the same distance.

One meter from the shaft point. Hit it right between the eyes as it was swimming towards me.

If you have thin shaft and found big grouper. You may be a better with midbody or right behind the gill plates shoot rather than head shot. Grouper has thick skull ( suprisingly they are clever fish:D ) and it may be hard to penetrate with thin shaft but with horizontal shot there will be less flesh and bone to penetrate. But of course if you miss the spine you will have hard time to take it out from the cave.

Originally posted by shaneshac
One meter from the shaft point. Hit it right between the eyes as it was swimming towards me.

Thats unbelivable man ! ! ! May be your power bands were dead.

Yeah but at point blank range with Metalsub 20mm bands I would have thought at would go through the head!!!!

It pays to be prepared.

I heard many many steel head grouper stories from experienced and good speros, I think they really have a strong skull. Personally, seeing a grouper that big is an exception and I would not change my configuration upto a higher level (maye 7mm shaft) while sacrificing the routine performance. I will try my best shot just like you did Shane.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT