• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

need some help...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Riffe Competitor

Hey fish2kill I think you should really go with a riffe c3! Its a great gun VERY accurate I have shot so many fish with that gun! For your visibility you need a longer gun than you think. On clear reefs a c3 is great you can power down for those reef smacking shots (something you could not do with 120cm euro with a 20mm rubber)and also have some good range with all bands.I really like that gun but am thinking of getting a c4 since I have had times when I could use a little more power and range when in really clear water. I also use a float line with a speed rig,to me thats the best way

Last edited:
Coral sniper,

Thanks man a bunch. That does help. Im looking at riffe's right now. I do like the 2x though. I understand you saying to go with the 3 but thats alittle longer then im thinking ill need. I started shooting a really small like a 1 size gun. It was fun too. If you have looked I really dont like euros. But if a euro can hold 2 16mm bands I might be in good shape.

Someone from the forum just sent me a few things that he has for sale. He is selling his rabbittech 100 cm aluminum. Im looking for info on but am coming short. So far it looks like a solid gun. Euro vs. American tree trunks it is. Im still with my teak gun but am looking for a good solid reef gun. Keep it up guys. The help is amazing.

Good news

My friend said she can have her dad cut me my spear stock. Im excited. Anyone care to help me with mechanisms, tracks, rails, spears, and how to mount the bundges? Any help would be appricated. Im going to make probably a 100-110 cm gun. 2 16 or 17 mm bunges seems right doesnt it? Not sure on spears yet. Ill be running a float line for sure.

Going to make it out of teak I believe unless I get some mahagoney. So anyone in florida got some wood there willing to part with?

Ive heard good thing about the riffe mechanisms. But ive heard they are more powerful then wong's. Over 600 pounds by my research. Do I really need that much? I for one will not be putting "green" bands on my gun so I should only have about 2 100 pound pands on there. Thats only 200 pounds. Yes? Maybe im reading wrong.

So anyone in florida got some wood there willing to part with?

You mean like these flawless pieces that were hand picked over hundreds of other pieces?

rofl

Attachments

• Gun Teak.JPG
    155 KB · Views: 164
Jim,

You are the man of all men. Got aim? If so its the same as my name on here. Dude hook me up. Shoot me a pm or an e-mail and lets talk.

fish, i have a riffe comp1 it is very accurate, i think people did not like the new riffe euro series, but the old comp series are solid... i wouldnt recommend that you build a gun, i think you need to try a few guns and a lot of hunting and see what features you like, then if you are still fixed on building, you'll have a better idea of what you need... again if you dont like the riffe, there are Euro made wooden guns that are great, but i imagine would be quite expensive to get tem in the US, brands like Seatec, Abellan, Esperasub etc... i dont think you could go wrong with either a riffe comp or another non wooden alternative would be a carbonfibre gun (like omer for examlple) in 90 or 100 length... these are great all rounders

Anyone else got an opinion on me building my own gun. It would be built by plans. Cut by a friend and then sanded and everything else added by me. I would perfer not to get a euro gun guys. Really i just dont like them. My buddies have speared by my side with them and they like they but then again they started on euros. I started to spear with a handmade wooden island gun. So I do like that.

Jim has been a great help. Im not going to bit my tongue and I guess look more into the euros. Although I would perfer a wooden gun I guess the euros arent so bad. Almost every reef video ive watched so far as been with a euro so there must be something good about them.

Jim has offered me a 100 cm rabbittech aluminum gun at a great price. Im considered the gun but cant seem to find much info on it. The next gun im considering is an OMER. They are very nice. I really want to get a 2 band 16 mms on it. Is it possible? Ive read most hawaaiins and east coast guys are using it but that the barrels on the euro guns are flexing. Can that be fixed?

I love the riffe's. I really do but for right now as a student im not going to be able to spend that money. Unless I get a good deal. If I do then Ill buy it for sure.

Ok thanks for the help. I think Ill either try to find an omer or ill get jims rabitech.

Now questions. Rails, carbon, aluminium? I dont understand. Can someone explain. Also the bands. Im still wanting to us 2 16mms. Is that possible on a euro?

it is very possible on a rabitech, especially in carbon fiber... the main benefits of carbon fiber is thst they are lighter, so more manouverable and also more rigid, so the barel will not flex/bend if powerful bands are used... needless to say its atad more expensive then alu..
the rail is standard on rabitechs as well as most euro guns today, the use is that it prevents spear whip/wobble when more powerful bands are used...

maybe the rabi would be a good option, i have a 120 carbon apex.,.... ooooooo mama i would recmmend that you use a single 20mm band and then add power if you need to, its a matter of preference of course, but i find it nore convenient to load only one rubber...
cheers and good luck

I sure do like the omers expecially the T20 Carbon Ocean Mimetic. Its really awesome. But those rabitech's are nice also. Anyone got any vids?

So you think only one 20 mm? I dont see a problem in that but ill be hunting reefs. Wasnt sure if it could hit bottom. Opinions would be great though.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…