• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Need spearo training

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

greatwhitepike

Apr 12, 2006
I have been diving in Sylvan Lake a lot recently just because it's so close to Red Deer, the vis sucks but it's a way to get wet. The thing is there are tons of big fish out there it's pretty easy to see a dozen walleye, handfull of whitefish, big Burbot and a couple jack in one dive around the dive park. I keep seeing these guys on plates but I haven't had the chance to even meet any of you spear fishers yet to help me figure out how to get them there. So when are you guys diving? I can't belive we haven't gotten together yet.

What kind of visibility do you have in Sylvan lake. Also what kind of depths? I may be intrested in coming down this weekend to dive.

max depth 60' although I haven't personaly found more than 45',all the fish and the dive park are at 20', vis on a good day 15' max more commonly 6-10. Plenty good to see the fish before they startle.

Don't forget the vis on the beach is always good:chatup

Dudes I'm working all this weekend, but on Sunday the 23rd, I'm in if you like. Sylvan sounds fine.
Erik

I did amigo, but I'm just too damn busy. In the past I've set stuff up formally and it just doesn't happen if you don't charge $$ and get deposits. I'm not interested in $$ for this so I stopped doing it.
My method is to hook up with guys like you when we can and take it from there, enjoy ourselves with no stress. Looking forward to meeting you dude.
If you want to invite anyone else I'm cool with that too.
Is Sylvan safe with the boats? I remember a female scubadiver getting the 'prop' treatment there a few years back and was killed. Wont stop me, just interested.
Cheers,
Erik

normally there is quite a bit of traffic on the lake but it's usually reasonable around the dive park. Worst case you put up a float and they'll slow down before they run it over.

Well I can make it this Sunday if you want to dive. I still need to check driving distances but I think it okay if I remember right. I also need to do an oil change before I head down.

greatwhitepike said:
Worst case you put up a float and they'll slow down before they run it over.

We always dive with a float anyway, even in non-powered lakes. Float's good for stringing fish, attaching your gun, extra weights, water, IPOD. Ok, I'm lying about the IPOD.
Erik

I was in Calgary today picking up some more gear (no gun yet) so I stopped down by the zoo and went for a dive in the river. There's a great 30' hole right off the parking lot with a ton of walleye in it. I even saw the largest pike I've seen diving it was a solid 40" if not better, it even got a little agressive when I wouldn't stop staring at it.

I really hope some of you can make it this weekend. Let me know what times your thinking and I'll garantee you some nice fish.

Hey guys talked with James this evening about tommorow. I think we got the day worked out ok before my cell died. I left my cell in Sylvan by accident but I 'll get out there by tenish and plug it in so you guys can call. On the message I left for James when I tried to get ahold of him again I said we should meet at the Big Moo 2 when I should of said More Moo.

I double checked the fishing regs and from what I read you guys should be allowed 3 Burbot and 5 Lake Whitefish. Although I understand James is just going to practice. Mabey we should at least fry up one of them big Burbot tommorow mmmmm Buuurrrrbbot.

You will be surprised how little meat there is on a good size burbot. Do you have a place we can cook some fish up after? I have a coleman stove at the moment but no gas for it. I will most likely just be going after whitefish and petting the burbot; letting them go on their way. I also need to work on the frenzel so I am sure you can get a few chances to shoot some fish with my gun Jann.

GreatWhite: bring a small handmirror down with you if you really want to have fun with the pike :D

Amphibious said:
GreatWhite: bring a small handmirror down with you if you really want to have fun with the pike :D

Mabey if I get a little more brave, they're aggresive enough for now.

Say JP and Erik Sunday still looking good for you guys or what?

Well the day looks good but I have to see what my ears tell me. I am going to keep the day open. If I don't come down I am sure Erik will still go. The chance to shoot whitefish should seduce him.

I would like to try your dive spot in Sylvan. Your fish stories have me dreaming. When are you planning on heading their again. I could possibly come down this Saturday the 29th. Twin is quite nice right now as well. Surface temp is really warm, though the vis varies a lot. Last week the vis below at 40 ft down was at least 25 ft.

lee

I'm heading to the coast for a week or so on the 28th but I'll let you know when I get back. The vis is usually not great in Sylvan but the fish have been there everytime.

greatwhitepike said:
I'm heading to the coast for a week or so on the 28th but I'll let you know when I get back. The vis is usually not great in Sylvan but the fish have been there everytime.

I will be at Vancouver on the 27th. I will be diving for two weeks. You should come out and dive with the group I am with. There is a great freediver to learn from and an Italian born spearo. We will be all over the place so if you got a cell I can call you.
Sorry about yesterday but I lost your number and didn't have access to a computer to call you. I blame Erik for not calling me on Saturday night as he was at a wedding. :friday I hope it was fun Erik.

Sorry guys my bad. My sister got married this weekend and I had my wires crossed for the dates :head
When you dudes get back from the coast let's go.
I might be going to North Battleford this weekend or Long weekend August 5.
Erik

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT