• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Need tips for spearfishing in Croatia

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

T-bone78

Jul 20, 2012
Hi!

I'm going on vacation to Croatia october 6th, specifically we are renting a sailboat from Split and we will sail around the islands there. I'm looking very much forward to it, it looks to be an amazing place with very clear waters. I'm used to a murky 3-8m visibility here in Norway.

I haven't done any spearfishing or freediving in the med. yet, so if you have any tips for places to go, things to do and NOT to do. I would appreciate it!

As I'm not that great at holding my breath, I probably won't go much deeper than 10 meters. Also, since this a new area I would like to be as safe as possible and don't take any risks, so shallow water spearing is what I'm looking for. If I could catch an Orata or Mullet from time to time I'd be very happy.

Also, is a 6,5mm suit too thick(warm) for Croatia in early october?

T-bone

ps. I know about the fishing license.

Hi.
Ive never spearfished Croatia but I did spend 7 days on a boat from Split and did a fair amount of freediving.
Water temp was ok when I was there (July) but a 6mm suit may be better for October as temp can drop to 7 degrees in winter, so by Oct it will be cooling.
Very clean water (20m vis) but almost zero fish life when I was there. To be fair though I was not spearfishing so I may have just been diving the wrong spots.

Appearently in the mediterrenian the fish is very hard to find, especially in the summer, but when the water gets colder they come to shallower and warmer water. So i'm hoping for that

It's October 21st now, so you may be already winding your trip down. Well, just in case - I just moved to Stavanger and I was looking for tips on spearfishing around here I have lived on one island in Croatia, just across the Split city, and basically spearfished around Adriatic since I can remember.
It is not that cold in October - you won't need 6-7 mm wetsuit. You will need 5 mm (two piece) wetsuit. I have used 3.5 mm (and some of my friends too) but those are special occasions and only for short time in the water. You will need at least 90 cm barrel speargun. It is very versatile because you can shoot fish in the holes and still manage to catch something on "waiting". Ideally you would have to have one short speargun for holes (up to 75 cm) with thick spear and strong single rubber band (19-20 mm dia.) and one 100-115 cm speargun with double rubber bands (16-18 mm dia). All tahitian tips.
For water clarity, in October water could get murky. Since the water is stil fairly warm(ish) the plankton may still be around. However, chances are that even "murky" in Adriatic sea (not counting north and Italian coast) means - 5 -10 meters of visibility.
Problem is - in order to catch anything decent in October, you will have to dive deep and long and use "waiting" technique. If this is not an option - another possibility that works is "sneaking" in shallow and semi-shallow water, moving around the rocks etc. However, don't expect much fish. Though - you may get lucky
Another thing is - in port, ask for visitor spearfishing permit. I would highly advise to do this because the police can get frisky and start confiscating stuff. It should be easy to obtain this permit at "Lucka Kapetanija" or Port Authorities in any place.
Technically, there are areas where spearfishing is allowed and where is forbidden. However, just avoid ports and beaches. At this time of the year, there are no tourists around anyway.
Good spots for spearfishing in your case would be - tip and pelagic side of island Solta, Pakleni Otoci by island Hvar (group of islands just of the coast of island Hvar), and generally Italy-facing sides of all islands. I'm not sure what your route is.

I hope this helps and you will share some tips about spearfishing around Stavanger

Hi,

Thanks for input, but I came home a week ago. I didn't have much time for spearfishing but I didn't see much anyway. I saw fish, but they were too small. We did however have a great time, we will definitively try to go back another time.

Regarding Stavanger I would recommend you to join the facebook group called "UV-jakt Stavanger". It's a relatively active group and it's all about local spearfishing. There you can ask all the questions you want and buddy up with people. Good luck and welcome to Stavanger!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…