• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

need your help to salvage my comanche

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Marwan

Gear Buying addict
Supporter
Sep 3, 2005
Guys, i need your help on this one (come on Mr spaghetti).
I am attaching a pic for my cursed comanche handle, any ideas on how i could salvage that to make it work again, the handle/trigger are fully intact, its just the plastic part that goes around it and into the barrel thats damaged. The problem is if i install it as shown, under a fight with a fish the handle could break free from the barrel, as the pin will not be fully wrapped with the plastic (because of the broken part)
all your thoughts will be welcome

Attachments

• Brothers & Sokhna jackfish 074.jpg
    Brothers & Sokhna jackfish 074.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 236
Reactions: oferdegi
Is the plastic behind the broken bit solid enough to driled along the axis if the barrel? If so you might be able to insert a threaded bar and epoxy that in place an fill the end of the barrel with epoxy and insert the handle into it. the threaded metal bar would add a load of strength.
Might not be possible but its worth a look dude.

Last edited:
Thanks pastor
I dont think it will be possible, but you gave me another idea, maybe if i could thread the plastic part on the inside, and then make an plastic part to fill that inside, i might be in good shape, then i would fit that into the barrel and drill a hole for the pin., but that needs a lot of tools that i dont have, but will need to figure out.

any other ideas

The simplest sollution would be to plug the barrel (to avoid any leakage) and then glue the handle inside the tube with epoxy. If you use a reel, the pull of the big fish will be transfered directly to the real, which is attached to the body of the gun, therefore the handle would not be put on any stress.
I hope you understand my poor English :)

I broke mine a while ago the same way and used a short piece of plastic pipe slipped on the end to make a mould. fill the entire space with epoxy or chemical metal from the car body repair shops. then when set slide off or more likely cut off the pipe and you have a newly rebuilt insert to fit the barrel. just drill and pin.
Steve

Marwan said:
Guys, i need your help on this one (come on Mr spaghetti).
I am attaching a pic for my cursed comanche handle, any ideas on how i could salvage that to make it work again, the handle/trigger are fully intact, its just the plastic part that goes around it and into the barrel thats damaged. The problem is if i install it as shown, under a fight with a fish the handle could break free from the barrel, as the pin will not be fully wrapped with the plastic (because of the broken part)
all your thoughts will be welcome
Pity mate.
All good advice from the other friends. You ask for my help, too, but I lack the technical words in english (mould? plug? pipe? I miss a precise idea of what they mean in my language).
However, a theorical option could be using the Omer system: if it works, it's very easy.
On the Omer Excalibur, the handle and muzzle aren't fixed to the barrel by a thread, but just by a plastic cylinder (pin? plug?). There's a hole in the barrel, a hole in the handle, and the plastic cilinder passes through both, holding very strong. So what you need is just a black & decker to make the holes, and the Omer plastic cilinder to pass through them (or any plastic or metal cylinder of the right size). For a Comanche, this is s only an untested suggestion, but why shouldn't it work?
--best wishes: I have a comanche 60 too, and I feel sorry for what happened to yours

Spaghetti,
it already exists on the comanche, the pin(cylinder) is metal instead of plastic, but the hole is already broken as you can see in the picture,
Doc/Dobs,
very good ideas, thanks a lot

...(but what is the thread for?)
What I meant was making new holes with the black & decker, both in the handle and in the barrel (probably a bad idea, forget about it).

Ive got an old handle and muzzle with bands so am on the lookout for a barrell. Is anyone out there in posession of a broken barrell to make a shorter gun for holes etc.
Off to turkey for my hols so some freediving to be done in the sun:cool:

Doc you can buy new aluminium barrels from Scubaland for less than 14 euros.

ok guys, i managed to get the other plastic part of the handle out of the barrel, ideally if i could weld the 2 pieces back together, we'll be back in business and have a perfect handle like new. the question i have is, what os the best way to weld the plasticand make it strong again? bear in mind that there might be a slight contact with salt water..

That sort of polycarbonate plastic is really hard to weld. Its similar to car bumper plastic an there are some firms which weld it but way too much money.
Looking at my spare handle which has a broken loading pad you should have approx 10cm plastic tube in total with a few drilled holes but the inside is a dead end so just hold them together with tape or plastic tube and fill the hole up with epoxy or chemical metal filler then drill a new hole for the pin and you are back in business.
Steve

I don't know much about your gun but I'll offer the following comments;

The mechanical properties of epoxy depend on the formulation you choose. My experience with bonding epoxy to polymers is that it can be challenging, this includes polycarbonates.

Loctite corporation might give you free advice over the phone concerning adhesives or potting compounds. Their contact info is easily obtainable online.

Cleaning and prepping of the surfaces is important. Epoxies will bond to polycarbonate, but even with good surface prep. the bonds I've achieved have been nothing to write home about.

Obviously if you are going to use a sleeving technique, lots of engagement is your best bet.

i dont know much of anything about spear guns, but usually if you can rough up the surfaces you're trying to glue or epoxy together it bonds better. I would think that if you put some really deep scratches in the surfaces you would have better luck with bonding. may not be much help, but its the best ive got. i have had good luck with an epoxy called jb weld. i have an uncle taht had fixed a cracked cylinder head in an engine with the stuff. It can be drilled and sanded and all that after it dries. You may also want to look into some of the expoxys used in archery to bond the threaded parts into carbon fiber arrows. it is supposed to be hard to bond to.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT