• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Negative Dive? "Swording"

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

wet

Freediver82 - water borne
May 27, 2005
What is a negative dive, and therefore, what is a positive dive?

I'm assuming a negative dive is feet-first descent (extended toes, arched feet),
while positive or regular dive is face-first descent. Correct?
Please clarify or verify.

From a post by Lungfish, a mention of "negative pressure dive", is that "negative dive"?
"There are also many styles of diving and some have suprizing benefits within their limitations. For example, negative pressure diving or diving while saturated but with empty lungs is an effective technique and probably a more efficient way to dive under 50meters. But nobody is negative pressure diving 100meters....."

ps.
Has anyone ever tried ascending feet first, using thoracic contraction of the diaphragm as an undulating mechanism to propel the linear rigid legs forward?
This would parallel a narwhal or swordfish, where the straight legs and abdomen pierce the water (sword-like) while the upper chest and extended semi-rigid arms pivot with spinal sinuations in rhythm with the diaphragmatic contractions providing thunniform-like propulsion (lunate tail), similar to how a tusked narwhal propels itself and actually like a shark too. I refer to this concept as "swording". It is the equivalent of the Dolphin kick, but in reverse. The significance of it is that it might be more O2 efficient than paddling with arms & legs, since it completely based on contractions. It is a blind ascent, since eyes are looking in wrong direction. Anyway, it would be a "negative ascent", if I understand the terms correctly. DDeden

Last edited:
A negative dive is short-hand for negative pressure dive.

A negative pressure dive is a dive done with empty or partially empty lungs.

The word negative pressure comes from the fact that while diving with empty lungs, the pressure in the lungs rapidly becomes negative relative to the ambient pressure.

Thanks for the clarification, Eric.
My confusion stemmed from having read some posts by Seb Murat, in which he mentions IIRC deep diving with "empty lungs", "wet sinuses" and diving feet first.

PS. Thanks for writing about the eye muscles possibly being vestiges of former more aquatic lifestyle, very interesting! DDeden

Eric, thanks for the clarification. I've read some posts by Seb Murat regarding "empty lungs", "wet sinuses" and feet first diving, that's where I got confused.

PS. Thanks also for writing about the vestigial eye muscles, very interesting! DDedden

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT