• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Negative statics

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

misterlizard

Tom Arnold
Oct 11, 2002
I've just discovered the wonders of doing negative statics! I was reading about them on these forums and decided to try a couple while sitting here at my computer at work. I did a quick one minute breath-up of deep regular breaths, blew all my air out and did a reverse pack and got 34 seconds before breathing again. Not that impressed, so I did it again and this time got 1 minute and 10 seconds! So I did another quick breathup and got a 3:30 breath-hold, which is not bad considering my pb is 4:05.
I think I'll use negative statics (dry) before freediving in future - very handy tool for a quick warm-up.

Careful applying this in the water. The only time that I ever experienced haemoptysis was about three weeks ago while doing negatives w/o sufficient warm up. I was practicing mouth-fills and went too deep too fast w/ empty lungs.

Oddly enough, the coughing started pretty soon after the dive, but the bloody fractions took about 15 minutes to appear.

It was a pretty minor squeeze and I seemed to be back to 100% w/in about a week.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…