• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Nemrod Mid-Handle Classic Layout Pneumatic Spearguns

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
It is very common for parts 15 and 18, the muzzle and the locking ring, to seize up as saltwater wicks down the screw threads, but they can be undone. You may mark the anodizing slightly, but with care this can be minimized. Heating, freezing and vibration, boiling hot water dunks and whacks with a soft faced hammer will break the corrosion bonds eventually as the oxide cannot expand and contract rapidly without cracking. The problem is that aluminium oxide powder expands and entirely fills up any thread gaps. Caustic soda or acids will attack the oxide, but will also strip the gun's anodizing, so is not an option. I have taken months to get some guns apart, just keep adding lubrication as eventually it creeps in along the screw threads and then with enough torque application they will start to move. Only failure that I have had was with a gun that some fool assembled with "Silastic" which has a near indestructible bond with unlubricated metal, that gun is going to stay locked together until Judgement Day.

Once the gun is fixed smear the screw threads with grease and then they will not seize up after being done up. For some reason Nemrod did not grease these threads on their guns, they probably just used oil which eventually floats away.

Last edited:
..." I have taken months to get some guns apart ..." this explain how difficult is. Ok if I have time may be will try again.
Thanks

A Nemrod “Crucero” on eBay looks in pretty good condition, so I am posting the photos here. With a lot of these very long guns the cosmetic condition is quite good because original owners found them not the easiest to use and soon put them away thinking I will try again later. That day never came and the guns just sat until discovered years later during a clean-up. This one has its counterweight at the rear rather than the hand pump.
nemrod crucero.jpg

nemrod crucero 2.jpg

nemrod crucero 4.jpg

Note that the sear lever is of the rocker type and is in the grip handle, thus the spear only occupies the forward barrel and it does not run the full length of the gun. Pull rod sear levers mounted in the rear of the tank arrive with the Silver series and Galeon and Clipper guns.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zahar
The gun that Nemrod could have made, but produced by Copino, a Spanish contemporary of Nemrod that followed what Nemrod did sometimes a bit too closely. Copino made an error with what is a clone of the "Sten", although it is also like the Cressi-Sub "SL" in terms of the high mounting of the inner barrel. Photo is a composite of images on the Jimdo "museum" site for Spanish spearguns. Gun is of 1973 vintage.
View attachment 42538
Interesting to see another one of these on eBay, although it has now disappeared and was probably gobbled up with a private offer. This example is shorter and probably a 70 cm model.
s-l1600 (87).jpg

s-l1600 (90).jpg

s-l1600 (91).jpg

s-l1600 (88).jpg

Note the date on the barrel sticker.

From the point of view of tossing the gun when firing, the upper position of the barrel with an offset is unreasonable! It makes sense to make the lower barrel location! But unfortunately, the Designers do not have the Knowledge of Practical Shooting from Underwater Pneumatic Guns!

The American "Airmatic" was designed with this in mind and had the barrel positioned low in the gun. In reality a high or low barrel does not make much difference and a coaxial barrel works well enough that most guns are made that way. Marketers searching for a point of difference drive a lot of the design considerations in trying to make their gun stand out from the rest on the display shelf in the shop.
airmatic2.jpg

This design consideration was even shown in the patent, note the figure encircled in red.
John Salles Airmatic A.jpg

Last edited:
From the point of view of tossing the gun when firing, the upper position of the barrel with an offset is unreasonable! It makes sense to make the lower barrel location! But unfortunately, the Designers do not have the Knowledge of Practical Shooting from Underwater Pneumatic Guns!

I think they knew a lot early on. But some designers prefer to place it high to help in aiming.
You know my thoughts on this - I tend to agree with wanting the handle as close to the barrel as possible.
My thinking is that most air guns, especially the shorter ones, don’t have much recoil so while a high barrel is not ideal, in reality you can still shoot it very accurately.
Now, once you start using longer, heavier shafts at higher pressures, I agree with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As many shots are not taken looking from directly behind the gun, but looking towards the target with the gun pointing in that same direction, the brain can work out the intersecting angle, particularly that at where the fish will be when the shaft arrives there. This is convergent line shooting, or sometimes described as shooting from the hip and an experienced user using the same gun can be very accurate with it. Long range shooting is best with two hands to keep the muzzle tip from wandering around. If you have ever been pistol shooting with long barrel pistols then you will know what this means. The density of water keeps the gun from wobbling as it would in air, but a degree out either way can mean a miss, so the gun needs to be braced as much as possible.

Last edited:
I don't know if you have Sports Underwater Target Shooting in the Pool? In the USSR, this Discipline gave a great Experience for the Correct Construction of the Architecture of a rifle for Precision Shooting!

I don't know if you have Sports Underwater Target Shooting in the Pool? In the USSR, this Discipline gave a great Experience for the Correct Construction of the Architecture of a rifle for Precision Shooting!
I know of this sport, but using spearguns in public pools is forbidden here. Take a speargun to a pool and police cars will soon be arriving. Private pools are something else entirely, but as spearfishing can be carried out all year round with no frozen waters then there is not the need as in say Russia and the Ukraine for a winter sport. That said rain, overcast, windy and miserable conditions prevent much diving in our winter. Short duration of daylight hours means with travel time of say an hour each way leaves little time for the actual diving with any degree of visibilty.

• Sad
Need help in identifying model of that Nemrod, i think it is Nemrod :) Serial number 00472. Handle is DIY.

Attachments

• IMG_5282.JPG
    IMG_5282.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 320
  • IMG_5294.JPG
    IMG_5294.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 290
  • IMG_5295.JPG
    IMG_5295.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 282
  • IMG_5296.JPG
    IMG_5296.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 267
  • IMG_5297.JPG
    IMG_5297.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 285
  • IMG_5300.JPG
    IMG_5300.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 275
Need help in identifying model of that Nemrod, i think it is Nemrod :) Serial number 00472. Handle is DIY.
It is a Silver series Nemrod, but someone has modified it with many parts being replaced. The muzzle and end bulkheads have been replaced with newly designed items and it has a different piston. A homemade handle has been made to fit on the Nemrod sub-frame that mounts under the tank tube. The sear lever has been replaced as well. The original gun may have been a “Bucanero” judging by the length of the tank tube.
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Some more photos :) Any guesses?

Attachments

• 00dec7ed-0e9a-4546-baa3-79d5c08a13b4.jpg
    00dec7ed-0e9a-4546-baa3-79d5c08a13b4.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 282
  • fa004801-aa3a-4bb6-b2e7-fc33eb47eab6.jpg
    fa004801-aa3a-4bb6-b2e7-fc33eb47eab6.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_5286.JPG
    IMG_5286.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 286
  • IMG_5291.JPG
    IMG_5291.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 306
  • IMG_5292.JPG
    IMG_5292.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 298
It is a Silver series Nemrod, but someone has modified it with many parts being replaced. The muzzle and end bulkheads have been replaced with newly designed items and it has a different piston. A homemade handle has been made to fit on the Nemrod sub-frame that mounts under the tank tube. The sear lever has been replaced as well. The original gun may have been a “Bucanero” judging by the length of the tank tube.
View attachment 56912
All "replaced" parts looks original, not homemade! But all of them not similar to part used in Silver Series :-( And i seriously doubt they have "new design". For me It looks like a some kind of preSilver gun. Exept handle of course, and nothing i can say about sear lever, never saw any other Nemrods disassembled :) So yo think it is some Frankenstein? )))

The piston looks like something you see from Russia, but the front end of it looks Nemrod. There is a Nemrod rubber piston seal in the second photo, but it is not on the piston, while the trigger is not a Silver series trigger as they were black. There is a Russian gun, the Katran, which is of a similar layout, but it is not one of those. The sear lever looks a strange shape compared with the Nemrod. More likely a Russian gunsmith has obtained an old Nemrod gun and rebuilt it or used it as the basis for a new gun.
Katran 2.jpg

Last edited:
The piston looks like something you see from Russia, but the front end of it looks Nemrod. There is a Nemrod rubber piston seal in the second photo, but it is not on the piston, while the trigger is not a Silver series trigger as they were black. There is a Russian gun, the Katran, which is of a similar layout, but it is not one of those. The sear lever looks a strange shape compared with the Nemrod. More likely a Russian gunsmith has obtained an old Nemrod gun and rebuilt it or used it as the basis for a new gun.

The most intresting and strange thing for me is how these gun looks outside. All of the part seems to be from "one family", they all must be from Nemrod! If you understand me :) Same anode, same turner cuttery, rubber part with line hooks\horns not cutted from longer one - it looks like casted in one piece... And so on. Gun doesnt looks like handcrafted thing.
Excuse me my english please :)

Attachments

• 3719a3b8-75ee-4154-ad2a-3cfd6d5473f9.jpg
    3719a3b8-75ee-4154-ad2a-3cfd6d5473f9.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 316
It would not be the first time a gun has been heavily modified, if you have a workshop with a lathe then it is not difficult to make new bulkheads and then send them to be anodized. Alternatively they can be anodized if you build the tanks to do it yourself, especially with smaller parts. The carry bag is very typical of Eastern Bloc spearguns, Nemrod never supplied such things. I have a number of Nemrod guns, so my comments are based on what I know.

Here is where it all began for "Nemrod", their original pneumatic speargun patent from 1951 (in Spain) submitted by Senores Don Juan and Don Pedro Vilarrubis Ferrando who were then listed as residents of Barcelona. This gun was actually their lever-operated surcompressor pneumatic model, you muzzle load the gun first and then swing the pivoting lever backwards to decrease the volume of the rear mounted air reservoir and thus boost the internal air pressure available for shooting. All Nemrod's many pneumatic spearguns evolve from this gun until their new models appear such as the "Silver" series with the full length concentric reservoirs in the late sixties ("Comando", "Corsario", "Bucanero" and "Filibustero"). Nemrod actually stamp the patent numbers on their guns. The Nemrod series IV guns still referred to this patent, albeit the US version of it filed in 1952 and published in 1956, but it is the same as the Spanish patent with a slightly less detailed diagram than the one shown here.
View attachment 38307
Note that the central handgrip is a modified spring gun handle with a connecting element poking out of one side of the alloy grip housing to reach back to the arm that controls the sear lever.
Nemrod made their first pneumatic gun in a few smaller sizes, but without the supercharging lever. A smaller one appeared on eBay recently and the photo below clearly shows the modified spring gun handle to create a handgrip. The actual trigger is the vertical chromed lever which is pushed by the black arm sticking out of the horizontal slot in the handle on the right hand side.
nemrod comodoro handle rhs.jpg

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT