• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Never fire a gun out of water

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Pastor

Supporter
Supporter
Mar 17, 2004
Just had this brought to my attention by my friend Dietmar from medfish

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't watch vidoes at work.
But I know for a fact that firing of a pneumatic gun out of water would destroy it sooner or later.

Now that is a story to be told I nearly died laughing the first time I read it rofl

The problem is the elastic return of the line: without the drag given by the density of water, there's enough energy to make the shaft bounce back against you. On a lucky day you will survive. On an unlucky day, the shaft might hit you in the head and you're dead. That would entitle you for a nomination at the Infamous Darwin Awards.
...Who, me? When I learned this lesson it was a lucky day!

Pastor
I already told you the story
here it is again!
I was swimming in a river when I discovered that RP-2 pneumatic gun would not load because some sand got into it. So I decided to pass that gun to the pal, former fighter pilot, who was fishing on shore. I told him the gun broke down and warned him sternly to put it back into my bag and not try to touch it. What did the guy do? Well, he was drnking and he was bored - so he decided to repair it - the first thing he did was try to fire it unloaded - and the he screamed to me - the gun is working so I swam back to find that the plastic part of the cylinder piping (bucket?) rammed through the conical muzzle because of that. I gave him hell and told him he had almost ruined the gun which now needs serious repairs and pleaded to put it back into the bag. But then he screamed again - it turned out he decided to continue repairs - so he started to unscrew the muzzle and it fired into the river because of the remaining air pressure.
But even that was not the end of the story! I speared a few roachfish with the spear of that gun and passed it on to him asking him to throw them up the bank so they would not jump back into water. When I swam back - there was no fish nor the pal. It turned out that he placed the fish right on the bank and it jumped back into water so he called it a day and fled before I found out.
I also had the same gun fired off accidentally out of the water - I was putting line on the line holder/releaser and it is designed in such a defective way that it is connected to the trigger so that if pulled - it pulls the trigger and fires the shaft -
it happened to me but lickily the shaft hit a stone outside the water, before the line stretched and bounced back

...As I said in another thread spear alone don't bring a buddy with you ...

I fired dry a few days ago... line (1mm mono) snapped straight away.
Its shocking just how much more power there is out of the water. I fired a second time without line as I had used up all my good karma and even with my wimpy 16mm rubber loaded to the first notch I shot my spear about 15 metres!... and lost it under the snow and grass for an hour.

Or rather as Covert says "never approach a bull from the font, a horse from behind or an idiot from any side!". My advise: get smarter friends!

I've fired my gun plenty of times out of water, it's actually quite fun. Although you have to have rocks for brains if you leave the line attached! That's just stupid!

...As I said in another thread spear alone don't bring a buddy with you ...

I thought I said this, while most said one has to dive with a buddy.
In another incident, my buddy fired his gun accidentally 2 seconds after I left the spot where the shaft was aimed at - I went to church and lit a candle after that.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…