• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New Airgun for Tuna

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hey thanks for the compliments Memo.

Baur, what exactly have you ordered?

Shane

Same gun. Asked for a Seac 115 fitted with mamba, 8mm shaft etc.

Waiting for a quote+delivery costs to Greece, but judging from the prices on the site it should be reasonable.

it took about a month in all. He will order the gun from a friend of his who is a dealer and then takes about 20 days for the modifications. They will also modify the trigger so it releases after 1.5mm instead of the standard 3mm therefore making the trigger more sensitive.

I ordered a threaded shaft for the sliptip with stainless (scorrisagola) slider (for wire) and an 8mm double flopper shaft with plastic slider (for mono). I ordered a spare slider of each.

The kit is comprised of 2 parts. THe new muzzle and a little plastic cylinder and o-ring that goes on shaft.

You could order a 7mm shaft but the parts going on the shaft would be different and therefore your bill would increase.

Let me know if you need any help.

Thank you Shane.

Could you post a foto of the stainless slider for the wire (if possible on the shaft with all the other components)?

A month is reasonable as ill be hunting tuna in Greece from August. Am flying to Cyprus tonight...hoping to be in the water in the next 48 hrs.
Ill post a pic of the case ive made for the Tahiti it will be a miracle if they allow me to check it in!!

Thanks Again

Btw doesnt the piston get worn out because of no water resistance? Saw the vids on the site and the metallic spring sound the gun makes on discharge, seems to be a bit "unnatural".

The kit has been designed so that this does not happen. There is a rubber shock absorber at the end of the muzzle to stop this happening.

The metallic ping is the resonance of the internal cavity as there is no water to muffle the sound.

Murat

Im visiting the South side (my wife works in South Nicosia).

Id like to try fishing that eastern peninsula in the North that goes on and on.
Perhaps we can meet up in the North to spear or in the South if you prefer.
Telephones are no use since I found out all calls from South to North are blocked (how ridiculous is that?) so ill PM you or PM me accordingly to put spearing on the program.

Hope you went well with your exams

Baur (Now Boarding)

never mind exams now:vangry now its time to dive...

eastern peninsula (karpaz) beaches and close spots are overfished by fishermans and speros you have to live there to know secret spots to spear nice fish or you have to own a boat to go farther spots. I have neither of them but we can still dive and hope for the fish, there may be surprise sometimes:eek:

Hey Shane, wicked-looking gun you got there!!! I have some questions for you (or anybody who cares to answer) though.
How can you load such a long air-gun if you don't have a significant arm reach? I imagine that the spear could easily bent during the loading (especially the 6.5mm-7mm ones). Do you think that a 90 or 100cm air-gun (modified like yours) would do the trick with dentex or medium sized AJs?

Thanks for bearing with me!

Baur mate, wack some good ones for us too!
Have fun and safe diving!

Last edited:
Galadion,

The loaders are modified with an extension to allow for short arms to load them.

For the dentex and AJ the bes would be a mamba 110 (6.5mm shaft) or a mamba 130 (7mm shaft) Normal mambas have 11mm pistons which allow easier loading and thinner hsafts to be used.

The italians swear by airguns for pelagics. Mine is overkill for the dentex really.

I just came back fom my honey moon last week from Greece and I miss all my spearfishing equipment.

By the way I was wondering how good could be the place I was in, I spent A week in Eretria, on Evia island.

Does someone know??

Shane, I just came up with some more questions to bother you!!
Being excited about that air gun of yours I did a little investigating on the matter and I came across with two issues. 1. Some people told me that aiming with an air gun calls for a completely different tecnique as opposed to band guns. 2. The same people told me that the accuracy of the air guns cannot much that of a band gun when it comes to precision shots on usual Med prey.
The source of the infos was not biased as the use air guns.

What is your (valuable) opinion on the matter?

Regards
Your tormenter

Hey Cece I wish all the best to you and your wife!
Spearing-wise, Eretria is not the best place to spear, but it is close to some decent spots (nothing much) which are situated mainly on the southern and eastern part of the island. The bad thing with Evia is that it is near Athens and a loooooot of people go there for all kinds of fishing.
Next time try a more remote and much more southern island. (Baur knows!!)

Cheers

Last edited:
Hey Galadion,

The airgun i bought was for use on monster tuna and not on typical med fish so the accuracy part was not the main concern.

I have to make sure i get the penetration required in order to give the fish the required traction to tire it out.

I tested the gun this weekend. Although using quite a lot less power than i will be when hunting tuna i must say that I was kebabing mullets from 4m away so accuracy is quite good in my opinion.

One thing i must say is that the gun is front heavy when loaded so long aspettos become tiring on the wrist. It is not really a bother for tuna hunting as most of the time i will be floating on the surface and the point will be facing down.

I was also really impressed with how silent it actually was. i slight "Swoosh" and the shaft was gone ;)

The mamba sealing kit was a bit fidgety at the start but soon got used to it.

For any of you wishing to try an airgun for normal size fish i would seriously consider a Mamba gun with 11mm piston. Easier loading than my gun and very very accurate

Hey Shane, Baur, how did your new air-guns performed this summer?

Where they what you expected them to be?
They seem really "bad" and I whould like to hear the results of the "crash test" by someone who really used them and not by a magazine article.

Hey Galadion,

I have not tested it on tuna yet as the water this summer has been freezing and very few tuna have been caught.

I have used it for dentex shooting with superb results.

I am now waiting for a 6.5mm and a 7mm shaft to use the gun this winter. I will be able to get a better comparison between the airgun and band guns.

I will keep you guys posted.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT