• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New Airgun for Tuna

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

shaneshac

FIN TRASHER
Oct 8, 2002
Here is a pic of my new airgun specially designed for tuna hunting.

It is a 115 airgun with 13mm piston and a Mamba Kit to repel water from the barrel upon loading

The gun will fire an 8mm shaft with a Devotosub Tuna Slip-tip

The Maorisub Big Fish Reel can also be fitted to home made wooden guns and comes with the mounting bracket. I bought this for testing the gun on smaller fish ie AJ, Dentex and big grouper.

The reel will hold over 100m of 2mm dyneema.

The mamba system as seen on the muzzle will stop water entering the barrel and allow a much faster shaft speed as no water has to be pushed by the piston. It is said to have the same power as an unmodified gun with 8-10atm more preload.

Looks promising. How did you go about getting the mamba fitted and by whom? Are airguns complete with maba available or do you have to get an airgun separately?

Hey Baur,

Check www.maorisub.com

They have there own guns but will modify any guns you choose.

They will buy the gun for you and do the modification. The reason i chose the Seac Sub Asso 115 is that the piston is 13mm and will allow the use of a 8mm shaft needed for big fish.

The Mamba guns all have an 11mm piston and fore either 6.5mm or 7mm shafts.

A mamba modified Sporasub Stealth with 6.5mm shaft was used to whask the 279 kilo BF tuna caught is spain.

Enzo from maorisub has assured me that my gun has loads more power than that :D

Shaca, do you use airguns exclusively? Do you prefer them over band guns?
Nice work,
Erik Y.

Hiya Shaca

Nice!!!! Very nice!!!!

Only one concern, that 2mm line on the reel is very thin. I use 2mm Dyneema or Spectra-dyneema on my reels and find it very difficult to fight big fish (well 10-15kg yellowtail). The line is just so thin that you can't get a good grip on it. Your hands also start cramping after fighting a big fish for a long time (like when you put in a bad shot!!!!)

Let us know how the testing turns out!!!

Regards
miles

Erik,

This is the first airgun i will be using. All of my guns up to now have been band guns. A large percentage of italians use airguns for large fish as they have very good penetration and monouverability.

Miles, the line I have on the reel is slightly thicker than 2mm and i have about 80m. I bought a reel of around 170m of this kevlar line for €10 ;)

The lady at the store said she had sold a few meters and would not be able to sell it unless she reduced the price drastically. Fine by me :p

I am awaiting an extended loader as it did not arrive in the package. AS soon as that is in I will be testing.

The Reel was just for testing with smaller fish, right?
I suppose Shane will rig the gun with breakaway and the 'jaws style barrels'. ;)

Tuomo

hope so... we want to enjoy Shaca's company for a long time!!!

Thats it tuomo.

The shaft In will be using for tuna will have a stainless slider from devoto so i can use 2mm wire trace.

The good thing about the airgun is that its a lot easier to connect the shaft to the bouys than a band gun.

My intention for starters is to whack the fish and jump in the boat.

The orcas and Pilot whales love tuna and i do not want to be in their way ;)

Shane

Just ordered one myself for delivery in Greece.

How long do Maorisub take to complete the order?

Baur

Awesome machinery Shane, I hope you could test asap and be very very pleased with it. It looks really mean! ;)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT