• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New/ Aspiring Spearo - Kent

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
In prep for the first trial dive this weekend are there any species that I can't catch?

If so how would I find out what I'm allowed to and not allowed to catch and their relevant sizes

There are still several things I’m unsure about. I think a lot of the time it comes down to your own values as well as the law. Rays for example. I still have absolutely no idea which ones you should or shouldn’t target. (moot point anyhow as I never see them)

Lots of people are very against the targeting of Wrasse for example, where others have no issues. Just need to do a bit of research regarding different species vulnerability levels, how many you’re likely to catch & how you feel about it.

Enjoy and above all stay safe.

Reactions: ALamb649
Thanks Wahoo and Mr.X really helpful, this will be my first time spearing and going out for a hunt. I don't want to go out shoot the first thing that looks like a fish and then have the local constabulary coming after me or the fishing board(really not sure who actually would come for me tbh).

Bass MLS is pretty low but has been increasing recently. The bass MLS in cornwall is usually 1 or 2cm higher than the national limit. Most anglers and spearos hold themselves to a higher standard e.g at least 42cm or 45cm, preferably bigger. Usually that means a fish that will generously feed 2 or more people rather than a meal for one.

I was surprised how low the MLS for edible crabs is. I have released crabs 2 or 3 times that seemed too small, only to see a crab stall in Cornwall last year serving up smaller ones, ready to eat! I don't regret returning them, I regret that others did not.

The limits are usually policed only by the British public, who will often ask to look at your catch just to look at the fish. But some will be anglers, fishers, spearos or just knowledgeable locals. Beware
the scorn of the British public! ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: ALamb649
Thanks Mr.X I'll be amazed even if I see any fish and even shoot for them tbh. I cannot wait to try it all out and be in the water again.
Have you read under water foraging at all?

No but almost all fish and seaweed (and shellfish?) in UK waters are edible. Taking normal precautions against bacteria from sewage and pollution of course.

What is the clarity around Sandgate? Also is there anyone spearfishing folkestone/dover?

I'm used to tropical spearing, but fancy having a go around here.

Looking for dive buddies...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT