• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New Buddy

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Erik

Jan 21, 2001
Yesterday I got to meet a new freediving fanatic. This is not the norm here in Edmonton Alberta, 1300 kms from the sea!
Like all my freediving buddies, we have connected via DBlue.
We went out to a lake that's an hour away. It's 35 metres deep in the deepest spot, 20C at the surface, and unbelievably cold past 10 metres! Oh yes, below 16 metres it's as black as can be.
I haven't been in cold water for over a year, and it was a welcome return as Feign (new buddy) and I dove without a reference line into Twin Lakes. Feign is a new DB forum member, and he has recently become interested enough in fdiving to get some long fins and a D3 computer. His wetsuit is a 7mm two-piece scuba suit, so he wore 16 lbs of lead. This didn't stop him from getting below 18 metres in the void, a remarkable feat in these conditions.... conditions that have to be experienced to understand that it can be VERY scary as you plummet headfirst into pure darkness and the themocline hits your face with 4C. Feign was really very negative at those depths, but surfaced every time with no problems!
I think Feign will be a fantastic diver....I'm goading him into competing, I hope.
I have met so many great people through this forum, and I look forward to more. You are all :king 's and tops in my books.
Warmly,
Erik Young

Reactions: Pekka
Wow Eric/feign thats fantastic!

When can you get him down to calgary? It'd be fun to get a decent sized group together and it sounds like vis in minewanka is considerably better. We could try and plan an expedition to the old townsite as well...

We dove down and into the pumphouse again on saturday. Smoke from the forest fires was a little rough on the breath up. I've got some surface video I've edited together, should have it on my website this week. Hoping to have a camera housing in action in the next couple to add some underwater video.

Feign and I already talked enthusiastically about coming down to dive with you guys. A trip to the coast might be in order too! Plus carp-whacking in Kelowna with Amphibious sounds fun. You bring the Maudite ;)
What's your URL JMD?
Cheers,
Erik Y.

website is still not functioning (#$@#$#) Telus. I'll add the URL to my signature when it gets pointed properly.

We'll likely be filming at the old dam, townsite and submerged forest in ghost lake in the next month or so. You guys should try to make it for some of that... although then we'd be stuck with monofin footage :D

I'm heading to Vancouver long weekend in August.

Jer and I are taking a 2-3 week trip to the pacific northwest to compile freediving video in November.

Be happy to have company on both trips...

Hey Erik!

If you guys want to ever come down to the Cayman Islands and dive here you have a room! I'm a Canadian, actually a dual citizen, so I know how cold it get's up there. At least on land anyway!

Really, you guys are most welcomed here.

Won't need to pack a 7mm wet suite!!

Christian

Telus = Satan

Look at all the west coast Freedivers! now if we could turn you all into spearos we could have a Canadian Team compete at the next worlds!

James - let me know if you want another body in November? Any idea where in PNW you're heading?

Erik - The Carp will never know what hit them! Maudite Tabernac!

Willer

Christian - you have no idea what your in for now!!! (envisions 12 canadian freedivers boarding plan for caymans with nothing but mask fins snorkel and cases of maudite)

Amphibous - yes most definately, we're hoping to do a bit of a tour, Vancouver, Victoria, Oregon, maybe even head down to cali for a bit time permitting.

Thanks Christian, we may get down there at some point. I love the cold water though, and I'll take it over any warm stuff I've done (Coz, Banco Chinchorro, Red Sea, Bali, Antigua).
Cayman is on the list though for sure!
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Thanks for the confidence in my future in freediving Erik. Ever since Erik and I went out to the lake on Saturday there has been nothing on my mind but going again. It was really cool to be able to meet someone in person that wants to talk about freediving, especially someone with all the experience that Erik has.

The dives out at twin lakes were great. I have been out to twin lakes before quite a few times, but only ever scuba diving. Freediving there was by far my best experience in that lake.

I watched Erik as the end of his yellow monofin disappeared gracefully only 3-4 m below the surface.... waiting... waiting.... looking down, hoping that the streams of sunlight trying to penetrate the deep would reveal him coming up...he would eventually surface minutes later. This was really cool.

Christian - I would love to come down your way one day.

Other guys in Canada - hope to dive with you soon.

Lee

Reactions: Amphibious
Lee,

Can't wait to have you down, 18M in the dark, cold waters of twin is a great start! Once you hit the 20ft of vis in minewanka you'll be cruising.

Eric and I had talked about meeting in Banff Saturday then up in Twin on Sunday. Hope you can make it.

Originally posted by JMD
...envisions 12 canadian freedivers boarding plan for caymans with nothing but mask fins snorkel and cases of maudite...

Sounds Like a Plan! :friday

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT