• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New desing roller gun by Stefano

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

tromic

Aug 13, 2007
TEST MACH-control - YouTube

More: MACH-control

I suppose this design might be more energy efficient than the normal roller because the speed of bands contraction and the overall length of contraction are two times less - less losses in water caused by drag and friction. But the bands should be (near) two times stronger.

Last edited:
I dont quite get how that works to be honest, can you explain any more?

I dont quite get how that works to be honest, can you explain any more?

Hi, foxfish!
Had you seen the pictures on the link: MACH-control
The green part of the pulley has 2 x larger diameter than pink. Around the green roll is wound a spectra that pulls (accelerate) the shaft, and around a pink roll the spectra that is puled by the bands. Is it more clear now?

Last edited:
OK I can see how it works now:)
The only configuration that would interest me would be with the rollers set just in front of the trigger.
However with all that thin line whizzing around I dont think I fancy the idea anyway - always good to see new designs though.

For me, roller guns are only suitable for the larger, longer lengths of gun where there is more tolerance & scope for adjusting the balance.
The roller heads make for such a bulky muzzle end but, that can be lost on a heavy high mass big game gun but, not is a 90 - 100cm gun.

PS .. I have been thinking that now you have perfected your airgun kits, I think you should look at making a kit to allow the trigger & handle to be moved forward about 200mm!
Some sort of linkage....?

Last edited:
OK I can see how it works now:)
The only configuration that would interest me would be with the rollers set just in front of the trigger.
However with all that thin line whizzing around I dont think I fancy the idea anyway - always good to see new designs though.

For me, roller guns are only suitable for the larger, longer lengths of gun where there is more tolerance & scope for adjusting the balance.
The roller heads make for such a bulky muzzle end but, that can be lost on a heavy high mass big game gun but, not is a 90 - 100cm gun.

PS .. I have been thinking that now you have perfected your airgun kits, I think you should look at making a kit to allow the trigger & handle to be moved forward about 200mm!
Some sort of linkage....?

There are already a numerous Russian guns similar to your description. A lot of them are sinking, heavy and it is easier hold them when in balance. But what would it be good for with an Airbalete like gun which is floating?

Much more manoeuvrability, faster tracking, use in confined spaces like weed or cave. I also wonder if the mid handle would help when loading & most importantly = because it would be very cool ;)
Everybody would want a Tomba mid handle gun :D

Last edited:
cool concept tromic, only issue I'd have with the gun is that you're depending on using line too much, which wears pretty quickly in a rough envioronment, too much friction on that line and it will snap.
Rubber however can take a serious beating without as much wear and tear.

My current roller gun is heavily dependant on line and it wears out pretty quickly (replaced it twice over 5 months) I'm looking at modifying it so that the only line that i use will be dyneema bridles and mono.

also, what range can you achieve from one of your guns? (please include length of gun)

my RA caranx 1.1 has an accurate range of 5m

Last edited:
cool concept tromic, only issue I'd have with the gun is that you're depending on using line too much, which wears pretty quickly in a rough envioronment, too much friction on that line and it will snap.
Rubber however can take a serious beating without as much wear and tear.

My current roller gun is heavily dependant on line and it wears out pretty quickly (replaced it twice over 5 months) I'm looking at modifying it so that the only line that i use will be dyneema bridles and mono.

also, what range can you achieve from one of your guns? (please include length of gun)

That was not mine concept. That was made by Italian guy Stefano Soriano! If I am not wrong the first invert roller was also designed by Stefano.

The range of good invert roller is very good.

A Triton invert roller gun (one of few models):

Triton, 100 cm long, shaft 1200/8 mm. Distance 7 m. Am not sure about bands, maybe 4 x 14 mm?
[ame="http://vimeo.com/31562644"]Test Roller on Vimeo[/ame]

Last edited:
One of the first real tests in sea:

There are still problems but it is promising. A new version is also on the way, with strips instead of spectra.

Last edited by a moderator:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT