• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New Diver looking for Someone to show the ropes too

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Woogie

May 29, 2013
Hey everyone! I was directed here by Whopperhead. I'm looking to finally act on my interest of free diving. I'm a complete newbie and I was wondering if there is anyone around Chicago (I'm 1hr north) who might be willing to teach me the ropes of free diving.

I unfortunately can't make the training in Black River Falls in June. However, I still would still rather learn from someone with experience than go solo (which would probably be disastrous). Feel free to message me if you're willing to help out!

Hi Woogie,
I'm not qualified to teach you the ropes, and do recommend taking the class. If you are able to, I'd be happy to dive with you occasionally around Chicago areas. I've completed a course and have all my equipment.
It seems to be extremely difficult to find freediving 'buddies' in the Chicago area- I'm about 1hr south next to Haigh Quarry.

Hi Woogie,
I'm not qualified to teach you the ropes, and do recommend taking the class. If you are able to, I'd be happy to dive with you occasionally around Chicago areas. I've completed a course and have all my equipment.
It seems to be extremely difficult to find freediving 'buddies' in the Chicago area- I'm about 1hr south next to Haigh Quarry.

That seemed like the general consensus. I signed up for the class in July in WI, however it was cancelled due to lack of sign ups. So I'm not sure when I'll actually get to go to a class now!

It could be that most people were put off by the tile. I read it as a new guy wants to show the ropes to others. I'd rather learn from someone with experience.

That seemed like the general consensus. I signed up for the class in July in WI, however it was cancelled due to lack of sign ups. So I'm not sure when I'll actually get to go to a class now!

Very frustrating- the same thing happened to me last September up in Wisconsin. I ended up getting private instruction while on vacation in Hawaii.
I'd be happy to go sometime later in the summer, though I would be surprised, with all the free divers who go up to the festival in Wisconsin, if nobody was willing to give you a few pointers during that weekend if you went up.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT