• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New FiberBlades for SporaSub!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
It's continuing

So, New FiberBlades for SporaSub footpocket are available at last in North America.
It's a decision for openclose heel of WaterWay products.
It was a lot of discussions about that. So WaterWay LongFins are available not only in spotrs' variant but also in 'close heel'. Scuba divers can swim with them at last and join to 'fibercomunity'.

For this use PowerBlade - it's perfectly fits to SporaSub footpocket and speciaaly designed for it.
Powerblades efficiency is awesome - no comparision with carbons. The Fiberblades practically immortal - they can easy over 10000 kilometers without weariness. You cannot see serious sportsmen with carbon blades only fibers everywere: in Racing, Lifesaving, Orienting, Underwater Hokkey and Freediving. How many World records are with Fiberblades: practically all. All last records are with fiber monos Eric Fattah, Patric Misimu, Carlos...
So that's effetivity is a reason to put it on instead carbons.

It was bestseller in Europe last summer. I couldn't order even 1 pair - everything was sold before was produced, the staff worked without weekends!

It's hardness (stiffness) types from softest to hardest.

On our site they're under Fins Tab. www.finswimming.ca
They're 99 USD here and 150 EUR in Europe. Not bad price I'd say.
It's cheaper then 'native' carbon blades and much more effective.

Concerning Bi vs Monos for freediving WaterWay strongly recomends Monos for more then 30 m. In effectivity nothing can be compared with the tale. Mono is the tale. The Nature is rational.

Reactions: DeepThought
They told me that "Once I tried Carbon I'd never go back to plastic", now (having bought C4s) I'm hearing that "Once I've tried Fiber Plastic I'll never go back to carbon"!!

Aaargh!

Has anyone tried these bifins? Does the technology translate well from mono?

Maybe this is the answer for spearos who break carbons...

Al

hi

Im lost what is fibre plastic what is it made out of etc.

cheers

Fiberplastic is....

Fiberplastic (sometimes they name it as fiberglass - it's old-name) is complex multy-layer polimer, usually epoxy-based reinforced by syntetic net (fiber) - elastic yarn. Thet gives it exellent elastic ability that combines from plastic elasticity and elasticity of yarn. It creates new material. Fiberplastics are composite materials. The thread makes fiberplastic elasticity practically immortal concerning material fatigue. Multy-layer construction affords create structure like whip in the longitudinal section that cerates 'rolling wave' - some sort of hydrodinamic resonance that especially strong with monos (because the big square of blade).
This whip-effect canot be done with other non-armored materials.
The professional swimmers also name this effect as a 'flick'.

Carbon in fact also plastic but on different basis, not multy-layer and without reinforcments. It has long molecular fibers but this fibers can not be compared with blatant fibers in armored plastic.
Roghly speaing it's an effort by chemical way to recreate mechanical structure. In the foreseeable future it cannot be compared with the composites.

The difference relatively plastic (Carbon plastic is the sort of plastic and nothing more) and fiberplastic power is alike between ordinary concrete and armored concrete. Something like that.

A lot depends of plastic itself. Only few countries can produce good fiberplastics - Russia, Denmark, France and Belorussia.
Russian is the best. French is good but expencive.

Sebak (Estonia) is our competitor in business and they're very good in communication with clients and have very high culture in it, hydrodinamics of their blades is quite good.
Sebaks' blades have drawback - their Belorussian plastic is not very good because desighned for other purposes and their blades often brake in the most feeble part -heel. Francly they're very nice with the clients and make the change.

WaterWay doesn't buy fiberplastic but rent the machinery and produce fiberplastic on some factory in Russia with comlete control of quality and we have our own formula of plastic. So the problem of breaking doesn't exist for us.
We can change heel-broken blades but that never happened.

So I see the good future for fiberplastics. And I belive that the best future fins will be desighned from composite materials.

Fascinating stuff - thanks.

I'd always associated fibreglass with the bodyshells of british sports cars, where high strength and rigidity are required.

I guess you're clever with the layers...

When my C4s break I 'll buy some!

Ciao

Al

Does anybody know where I can get a good price on some Sporasub foot pockets- size 42-44?
Diveinn seems to be out of my size.:(

Jon

I do, but...

I know, but cannot tell,
really sorry. It's a commercial secret.

All the best.

Hey Peter, can those things be painted or what? Can you please explain the difference between the stiffness...how stiff are the stiff???? Happen to have an extra pair of sporasub pockets laying around and this sounds interesting. If you havent already told, how much do they weigh?
Thanks

Jon, PM me...I might have exactly what you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jon
Yes,
Sorry I was waiting clarification from factory about this staff.

So, they're:

the hardness has 5 tipes
it ups from 1 to 5. Now there's a new idea to measure it in kilograms (!). They are
2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5 kg.

It measures so - how many kilograms we have to put in lateral direction to make deformation in 52 cm (they say that 52 is medium measure for a swimmer).

2.5 a bit is softer than LD-type of blade (Soft for bi-fins) 5 is a bit stiffer then Sprint (Hard for bi-fins).

I was trying to compare them with Scubapro native blades but failed to compare 'em - absolutely different feeling. I don't know how to compare them.

2.5 is very soft. Maybe due to softest blade it can be ideal for freediving. For spearfishing, snorkeling, scuba I'd take 3.5-4 for standart body - about 70-80 kg 175-185 cm, medium-trained swimmers or 'who lives in water' and swims very long distances.

3-3.5 are for rookies and freedivers with strong legs.

!!!!
It's my personal supposition. Nobody's tryed them yet for freediving!
!!!!

For advanced guys 4 and 4.5 are OK. Scuba, snorkeling, so on.
It's in fact old 'Hard' stiffness and lifesavers on competition usually select them. They're looking universal.

For high speed 4.5 (Hard) and 5 ('Extra Hard') are great. Irong-legged monsters at last have stiffness for them (5)

But I'd say thay're great but tough and demanding to swimmers shape. Speed is really high.

For women the same but (-1) in stiffness.

The're just a blades and no sizes. It's a good point.

Sorry again for the delay.

Peter,

I see two styles on the site. A yellow convex edged blade and a brown concave edged blade. Which is which, or do we have to specify when we order? And, are you giving DB members the 10% discount? :confused:

Anderson
(Proud Waterway mono owner :D)

Hi Anderson!
In fact there are 3 tipes of form of tale - arc outside, arc inside and 'fishtale' (flat about 2 cm from both sides and then goes arc inside). I think that this name gave somebody who never's seen any fish. :)
In reality no difference. Just a marketing. In practice they're the same. The tiny bigger performance has arc outside. But it's really tiny.

About color - nothing special. The hue of braun color just depends on color imagination of our guy who prepares the mixture for plastic. :)
They're absolutely same in quality just additions of pigment (salt of cromium as I remember).

Now I've on stock brown and light brown. Totally the same. If you prefer one of this colors - mail me business@finswimming.ca with your order and if I have in stock color that you prefer - I'll send it. If not... well I'll send that I have then :eek:

We give discout to:
1 National Champs
2 Members of National Teams (USA and Canada)
3 Professional Coaches (in fact they always buy some pool)
4 Who buys a pool from 5 items together (and more) - and after
with shipping to the same address
5 Who has bought 10 WW items in any period of time
6 Who has bought 3 and more fins (blades) in any period of time

So Peter,

These fiber plastics are supposed to be better than carbon fibers and at a better price? I am drooling man! Are these recommended for us spearfishermen? I dive in some pretty rough water and my reservations about the carbons are breakage on the rocks either entry/exit and blasting a coral head. How do they react in relation to plastics (I use Cressi HF's), and carbons (was going to buy the Picasso Carbonprenes). I went to the website on one of your posts but I couldn't view the blades. The euro site was not much of a help. Sorry but you really got me going now. I can score some Sporasub footpockets from the Scubastore for real cheap and now you're telling me I can get a blade better than carbon and for cheaper? God bless you man.

Brad :martial

Reactions: loopy
I've answered to w3c by E-mail.

So, Scott Turgeon has tested the fiberblades (he has bought a pair) and hes opinion about them is in the Hunting Equipment Forum.

Reactions: w3ac
fibreplastic?!?!?

ok i have worked it the plastic industry for years and lets please not call apples oranges. yes to a certain extent there is a difference between carbon fibre and fibreplastic. a spade by any other name is still a spade. the name carbonfibre blade and fibreplastic are misleading. there is something missing from the name of first, to be thorough it would be carbonfibre plastic and the other as it has been presented is a "fibreplastic". this technology is the same relatively. if we look on the name of the latter it would seem that there is something missing... what type of fibre is this in the "fibreplastic"

fibreplastic, fibreglass is the same, made of a two part composition, fibre that is layered, saturated or impregnated with resin. thus the resin would be this so called plastic in the new name "fibreplastic". yes the resin is a type of heat reactive or curing plastic that is very elastic and comes in two common compounds polyester or epoxy. the type of fibre the ammount of it, its direction and or weave makes up the flex or rigidity, the resin holds the fibres in place one reinforces the other. rienforcement brings us close to something more familiar, reinforced concrete yes you can change the concrete(resin/plastic) and you can bind it over different mediums pretesioned steel cable or rebar(carbonfibre/fibre) but it is still pretesioned concrete.

carbonfibre has its applications because of its strength to weight ratio, i.e. bicycles, airplanes, etc.
weight matters but just not as much underwater. so the fibreplastic is merely fibreglass, these industries have simply mastered the weeve, layering, substance. the product may be better and i am certain it is the reason why it is cheaper more than likely cheaper labour first and almost all fibres are cheaper than carbonfibre. why was carbonfibre first used more than likely a by-product of italian industries(bicycles namely) looking to branch out there was more than likely little thought given to other materials(fibres/resins) because of their mastery of cabon products(they are the industry leaders). so who gets the last laugh us the consumer of the current product cheaper yes, better probably, but the best is yet to come in my estimate in the form of a variety of fibres with carbon incorporated.

Reactions: DeepThought
you have got it!

The name fibreglass was always a bit silly as the is no glass involved. I supposse that it was so named as the resins are transparent like glass and one could see the fibres in amongst the glass like resins. I think to call this ground breaking technology these "ibreplastic"is a bit missleading. Resins are easily modified to have different charateristics as is the fibre type and weave. The only thing new that I have noticed is the appication. I am currently working on applying yet another method from the fibre and resins industry. The problem is the company that I worked for and helped to develop this method sold the rights Ferrari 6 months ago. I will never be able to use the method comercially. Maybe I should talk to Ferrari and make a contract with them:confused: Though that would be impossible as Ferrari would demand more profits than the freedive industry permits. How would you like a pair of fins with the Ferrari name written down the length so fast and responsive just like their namesake?

Re: you have got it!

Originally posted by gitano
How would you like a pair of fins with the Ferrari name written down the length so fast and responsive just like their namesake?

Hey, count me in for a pair of those things!!!

Hydro

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT