• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New Free diver needs buoy and line recommendations

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Bobby Knight

Aug 5, 2023
Hi all,
I just got back from a trip to Bali where I found out how bad my torpedo shaped buoy and thin floating line really was. Can anyone guide me to a good setup for these items?
Thanks,
Bobby

Sharkey, a member on this site told me about this type of rope and its qualities some time ago and I have used it since.
¼” / 6mm hollow braid polypropylene rope will float on the water and is resistant to mildew and rot. This is a multi-purpose rope that is very versatile and can be easily spliced.
¼ inch floating rope is yellow in colour making it easier to see on the water.
Available from the Lomo site but I have seen the Lomo rope on Flebay also in different lengths or just look for the same rope online where you are located.

I gave up with inflatable buoys many moons ago due to punctures so not reliable and made my own from a foam fishing bouy.

Reactions: Mr. X
Brochman, Sorry I haven't replied to your post sooner. I came down with what is probably the new Covid crap not long after I posted my question. The timing on our trip back from Hong Kong was as bad as it gets and I'm sure I got it on the plane. I'll check into your kind recommendations when I begin to think again...
Best Regards,
Bobby

Re. Punctured floats. I had that happen a few times when using my inexpensive single-skin float that I used for a decade (I have several floats), usually away from home. I found the 3 following fixed it ok and quickly for me:
Superglue, clear sellotape type tape and self-adhesive bicycle puncture patches - "buyer beware, your mileage may vary".

No punctures in my little-used solid float, of course. Nor any punctures in my more recently used plank-style "double skin" float (skin + bladder) that I can recall. But I usually carry superglue and/or self-adhesive bicycle tube patches in my spares bag, in the car, so punctures are inconvenient but not such a big deal for me now. ;)

Sorry to hear about your covid Bobby :(. I just had yet another booster against it last week. Sigh.

BTW I use Rob Allen "Thai green curry"/"olive green" polyester thin rope float line. I use several different lengths, works well. Orange version probably safer for you. I've not seen this rope in shops but I did find something similar in a car--boot sale - apparently used in garden! Also found some NOS English washing lines which are similar (but thinner and lighter green, but available in other colours too -red might be good??) and cheap.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brochman
Re. Punctured floats. I had that happen a few times when using my inexpensive single-skin float that I used for a decade (I have several floats), usually away from home. I found the 3 following fixed it ok and quickly for me:
Superglue, clear sellotape type tape and self-adhesive bicycle puncture patches - "buyer beware, your mileage may vary".

No punctures in my little-used solid float, of course. Nor any punctures in my more recently used plank-style "double skin" float (skin + bladder) that I can recall. But I usually carry superglue and/or self-adhesive bicycle tube patches in my spares bag, in the car, so punctures are inconvenient but not such a big deal for me now. ;)

Sorry to hear about your covid Bobby :(. I just had yet another booster against it last week. Sigh.

BTW I use Rob Allen "Thai green curry"/"olive green" polyester thin rope float line. I use several different lengths, works well. Orange version probably safer for you. I've not seen this rope in shops but I did find something similar in a car--boot sale - apparently used in garden! Also found some NOS English washing lines which are similar (but thinner and lighter green, but available in other colours too -red might be good??) and cheap.
Hey, thanks for the reply Mr. X. I'm leaning towards one of those double skin buoys, but I had a hell of a time untangling that thin orange line. It took me 15 minutes to get it all straightened out. The fish were probably laughing at me. I guess I'll be adding a bicycle patch kit to my stuff. I'm assuming you guys are just using this thin line to tow your float around, but I am thinking about practice dives at our local lake and maybe some FIM.
I don't have covid, as it turns out. Tested last night. I guess it's a cold I caught on the plane coupled with 23 hours of plane rides etc. and 3 nights of no sleep. All part of going to exotic places full of wondrous things, but it isn't gettin any easier. :)

FYI The polyester Rob Allen float-line that I use is fairly stiff and usually does not tangle.

Although I tend to keep my float-lines location in mind while swimming with it, and manage it.

I have also made a wooden line winders to store my float lines on. I keep the winder on the float end of my line when swimming. So occasionally I might wind in some of the excess line. I also cut my float-line asymmetrically so I have 2 shorter float-lines - with less excess left floating around :). [ I can also extend them, if conditions require it, with my home-made version of the RA mono-filament Ghost leaders or my RA roped reef-hook. ;). Or, I suppose, I could simply loop them back together - but haven't needed to, so far thankfully :D]

Yes that orange paracord floatline is not good for spearfishing :(. It makes a decent handline for kayak fishing with a trolled line, mono-leader and an Eddystone Eel lure though ;) :D

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT