• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New freediver, currently at the Great Barrier Reef AUS - iron defficiency and freediving

JenniferMeza5

Mar 7, 2024
Hi all! I am new to freediving, just got my license in Indonesia. Im currently based in Queensland, Australia very keen to connect to other freedivers around here to explore and practice more. I have joined some apnea training at the pool to deepen into it.
I found this amazing forum as I have an iron defficiency since a couple months and was wondering if holding breath would worsen this situation or if the body ends up getting used to the low levels of oxygen....?

cheers!

Reactions: hydroid
I suspect that anaemia could lead to a higher possibility of blackout if you tend to push a bit towards hypoxia when freediving.

I'm pretty sure it's true that the body will be able to cope better with it to some degree as you do more breathhold/freedive training (improved dive response meaning better oxygen use overall, incl. spleen adaptations so there's a bit more 'fresh' O2 added into blood when needed, etc.)

Still, I think it'd be wise to be wary of the possibility you could become somewhat hypoxic before the hypercapnia causes you to reach the point where you have enough discomfort (i.e. urge to breathe) to discontinue the dive/breathhold (perhaps a bit like hyperventilating beforehand), especially if your CO2 tolerance has been improving with training...

Next time you're doing some near-max dry static breathholds, it might be worth using a pulse oximeter, so you can see if you are actually managing to bring your spO2 down significantly. (I'm assuming that anaemia would affect spO2 sufficiently for it to detect that - I'm not 100% sure, although this article suggests it probably should...?)

Ideally, of course, you'd want to try to reduce the anaemia if you can.

Welcome to the Forums mate. You are in a great area for freediving.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT