• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New (freediving) member from San Diego, CA

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Chris H

Oct 18, 2007
Hi everyone,

I've been finding great info about freediving basics on this site, so I figured I'd go ahead and register. I've been snorkeling for about 20 years (I'm 33). I'm not sure where the line is between snorkeling and casual freediving, but now that I'm hitting 50 feet and taking pictures down at the La Jolla submarine canyon, I've started calling it 'freediving'.

I don't spearfish or hunt, though; I dive because I love the feeling of freedom, and taking pictures is enough of a 'thrill of the hunt' for me. (Attaching a couple favorites, for those who haven't dived Southern California before.)

I have no competitive aspirations (pun intended)... being able to hit 50-60ft (15-18m) and stay down longer, is my goal. My best static apnea is 4 minutes, but my dives are well under 2 minutes, so I clearly have a lot of work to do on technique.

Nice to meet you all,

- Chris

PS I'm going to Oahu for a few days, in about a week; it will be my first time diving tropical waters, so I'm very excited. :)

Attachments

• IMG_5474 (Large).jpg
    IMG_5474 (Large).jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_5512 (Large).jpg
    IMG_5512 (Large).jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_5518 (Large).jpg
    IMG_5518 (Large).jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 114
Welcome aboard Chris,

Plenty of like minded people on here. 2 mins is a heap of time on a dive for snappin... Lovely photies BTW!

Hi Chris, I'm in San Diego as well. I just got my gear together after a 10 year break to the sea. I'm happy to be back in the water. Though I dove once and the weather and water is getting cold, I want one last dive before june.:D

Hi Chris

Nice photos. Can't wait to see more from Oahu. :)

2 mins. sounds great to me. My static PB is just short of 4 mins. Most of my dives have been around 1 minuet while hunting as of late. Water temps have been to cold here with out a wet suit lately so haven't been out in a while.

I lived in Ramona CA and spent most of my free time in and around La Jolla waters for a number of years before reolocating to Wisconsin. Not very good news outa Ramona and S.D. county recently with all the fire. Hope all is well with DB's Southern Ca. members.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT