• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New gun for '05 JUST PLAIN WICKED!!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Jimmy here's a picture. Should explain alot.

:D

Attachments

• Dsc02055.jpg
    Dsc02055.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 242
Reactions: Mikko
Good stuff Gilbert,
A Few different timbers you might like to try are
1) Arctic Beech this is a very plain looking timber but with similar water resistance to teak -I have a gun made of this about 5 years ago and given little maintenance only about 3 times i have reapplied some teak oil to it ,oiled only no varnish or epoxy it is solid straight grined timber not laminated and is still straight.
2) Huon Pine an exotic and expensive ship building timber from Tasmania very pale colour -looks impressive laminated with Teak.
3)Tasmanian Oak a cheaper hardwood used successfully here in Australia for spearguns.
It is my opinion that shorter guns will be quite ok with solid timber but Laminations could be an advantage in longer guns to prevent warping- twisting of timber and adding strength for bigger multi rubber guns although Collins makes some nice guns from solid teak in larger sizes, and seems to have a good reputation - as do the big name US manufacturers that use laminated Teak.
Regards Peter

Jimmy, yes those are the channels I was talking about where the wings fit into. The non-winged guns are similar except the walnut doesn't stick out like the winged gun.

Poacher, thanks for the info. I'm not familiar with those woods but sounds like from your experience that they're definitely something worth considering. My problem would be to find a source in the states for these Aussie woods. Pete Kesby builds a nice looking laminated gun. Do you know what he uses?

Gilbert,
I am only guessing if you want to be sure try asking Peter Kesby Direct, I think that on the guns pictured on this link http://www.kesby.com.au/handleb.jpg that the red looking timber would be Jarrah a very tough hardwood from western Australia -this is very popular for outdoor furniture and floorboards for those people unfortunate enough not to be spearos ,and probably a few spearos too, the white wood maybe Huon Pine, and the yellow maybe Tasmanian Oak.
If these guesses arent correct they would probably still work ok in my opinion as all these have been used for guns here.
I tried to find you some contacts for sales of Huon pine and found this http://www.huonpiner.com/sales.htm
Sorry it wont help much
This one is better http://www.barrhuonpine.com.au/
regards Peter

Last edited:
I hope to make in a short time the translate of my web site.
Tanks for your interest. (and sorry for my bad english)
ciao

GilbertG. said:
Cece, comment cava? I've always wanted to take a European vacation with France included. I'll look you up if I ever make it there.

Hey I thought this was a pretty cool site someone posted on spearboy. I can't understand the Italian (I think its italian) but the guy put up some really good pictures of his speargun project. Anyone care to translate? I think a lot of the DIY gun builders will appreciate the step -by-step pictorial description.

http://www.arbalegno.com

Very interesting how he laminates carbon fiber in between strips of wood.

Welcome Persiko!

I look forward to seeing your sight in english. Its great information that you're sharing. Good english bad english, it is not a problem. I grew up on bad english, Pidgin.

Good to have another gun builder here. I hope we can share/exchange ideas on the forum.

Gil

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT