• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New guy looking to try this out!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Ink Junkie

May 21, 2010
well here is my first post, I'm going out Sunday for my first time. I'm leaving the spear behind as my dive buddy/spearo mentor says i need to get wet first and be comfortable underwater in the kelp. (makes perfect sense to me)

anyone know of any reefs or other places in san diego that would be good for a beginner to spear some smaller fish? maybe shallow water or a place thats accessible from the shore on a long board?

Im not looking for a a 30# WSB or anything, just want to start small, maybe something to bring home for dinner and just have fun.

any help on the subject is appreciated

Hey welcome to the forum! I Would agree that the best spearfisherman start out slow, learning the environment and getting comfortable then moving to the sling and so on. Most people think the sling is lame, but it is a valuable tool in learning how to move around the reef and aproach fish. I still use mine some times in certain applications. As far as spots go, I know the La Jolla Area is good and has a more reliable viz (now that i said that u wont be able to see your hands) but thats where i started out. Theres alot of Calicos, sandbass, halibut and perch, near shore so that u can learn and be comfortable. Best of luck, dive safe!

Thanks brother. Is there a beach that is a good starting point? i don't know where to find any of the reefs or anything. the only place I've been out from shore is off the cove and childrens pool. Ive been in the kelp but we dove off a boat then.

hmm. see if you can get a topo map of the area...i heard google earth has a thing now where you can see the bottom structure, if not. just start roaming the points and boilers wherever you can find them. points are good structure for bass and other reef type fish.

Try to find a copy of a book called; Diving Free by Carlos Eyles.
It will talk about any fears of mother ocean, and a path to freedom and joy as one hunts beneath her surface. I'm with your mentor, leave the spear, feed the fish and enjoy the journey. I still use the pole spear from time to time, is a fishing tool that many start out with and return to.
Cheers, Don Paul

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…