• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

new guy on vancouver island (victoria)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

matt88

Jul 6, 2011
I’m wondering if anyone on the site can help me out. First off I just I just moved to Victoria and I’m looking for free diving info for the southern part of Vancouver Island. Are there any clubs or courses I can take, dive shops I can pick up some gear at. I can only find courses in Vancouver. If there are any groups or people who would not mind helping me learn the ropes, I don’t have any gear yet looking for recommendations and what gear works for people out here. About me, I’m very new to the breath hold thing. My best static time is 1:30 and can swim under water for 25-30 m underwater with no fins at a pool.
Thanks

I spearfish when I go diving and know only a handful of people who spear out here, and no one that freedives exclusively. Some use 7mm suits, I use a 5mm open cell suit year round, 5mm gloves and booties, and freediving fins. I dive fairly regularly and it works for me. I don't know of any courses out here, and none of the diveshops carry any freedive specific gear around Victoria, completely scuba centric. International Dive Center in Vancouver would probably be the closest shop to find freedive gear but they have quite a limited selection.

Cheers

I'd give them a call, or even check their online store. It might not be worth the trip as they also focus on scuba and dont carry too much freedive gear...Some omer and cressi I think.

PM sent, I have done the Performance Freediving Intermediate course and would be happy to meet up.

hi guys
I am new to this site but am keen to freedive and spearfish

I am located in nanaimo and have a boat.

No I am only 16. I dont have a car so I am sticking to the Courtenay area for now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm doing a bit of spearfishing on the island, based out of Courtenay. Always looking for more dive buddies. Send me a message!

Here's a few clips from a west coast trip a few weeks ago:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu7q2FzucMI]The Water Between Worlds - YouTube[/ame]

Great video love those greenlings. Good tacos

I'm diving dods narrows Saturday if your in. I can pick you up at the cedar boat ramp have a home on Mudge

Hey Mike its Caleb. It turns out Cressi canada went into retirement so the dive shop couldent get the gear I needed so I will be getting it a little later than planned.

Caleb, thats a bummer. Let me know when it comes in. I have some old school scuba fins if you ever want to borrow them.

iaff905, yeah I'd be down for a Saturday dive. what time are you going to be at the boat launch? PM me and I can give you my number. Are you going to be scuba diving or freediving?

Caleb, thats a bummer. Let me know when it comes in. I have some old school scuba fins if you ever want to borrow them.

iaff905, yeah I'd be down for a Saturday dive. what time are you going to be at the boat launch? PM me and I can give you my number. Are you going to be scuba diving or freediving?

Freedive and I could pick you up sat am at the cedar boat ramp

Hey Mike its Caleb. It turns out Cressi canada went into retirement so the dive shop couldent get the gear I needed so I will be getting it a little later than planned.

so are you no longer able to get cressi gear in Canada at all now? I was looking at some of there wetsuits.

so are you no longer able to get cressi gear in Canada at all now? I was looking at some of there wetsuits.

Thats what I was told at a dive shop here in courtenay. So I went on Amazon.ca and got them. Be prepared to pay lots of shipping

ETA for the fins is around Independance day. I am ordering a rubber belt tomorrow that should be here in a few days.

Just on an off note. I used to spearfish out of Victoria, but am now in Alberta, so I am selling off my spearfishing gear. I got spearguns including one with a reel, to floats, to other miscellaneous gear if you are looking. Save the shipping and the new fees.

I can help with local information for shore dive spearfishing in Victoria if anyone needs any information.

Reactions: Barny
I am interested in your spear gun do you any more info on it, size brand price ect

thanks matt

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT