• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

new guy on vancouver island (victoria)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hi Matt, they are.

H. Dessault Quattro Classic 75 cm $100 Canadian - Very accurate and fast to reload speargun. Slightly bent spear with this one, but it is fixable.

Beuchat 96 cm with rail and reel along with several spears along with a 16 mm and 20 mm bands. $200 Canadian - Very accurate also

Hi there. I'm new here, but I'm wanting to start freediving, and need a buddy. I live near Victoria, and have done some scuba diving in the area. Any ideas on what thickness wetsuit I should get?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free

Try oceaner for a great wetsuit, they are made in Burnaby and are world class, the rc 45 is made in 3mm and 6mm I have one of each-they are not cheap but they are great suits--check out the website cheers

Hello from a fellow Canadian!

In Toronto we make use of Aqualandwetsuits.com a LOT for custom made suits, made and shippe from Greece in a couple of weeks an selling for less than $250!

You can get a camo suit, or a regular solid color.

Thanks! Any idea how much they cost? How tough are they?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free
The 3mm cost me 500CDN and the 6mm cost 700CDN--I have used the 3mm suit extensively as I spend my winters in Mexico and generally dive 5-6 times per week--so the 3 mil suit has lots of time on it--this includes laying on the rocks, waiting for the right fish to come by-the only sign of wear is where my legs brush together, there is a little pilling showing up--you have to lube the suits to put them on--I use 33% hair conditioner and the rest water, these suits are very warm and there is virtually no water ingress around the hood, sleeves, or where I pull the legs over my booties--expensive but worth it. Cheers .

I’m wondering if anyone on the site can help me out. First off I just I just moved to Victoria and I’m looking for free diving info for the southern part of Vancouver Island. Are there any clubs or courses I can take, dive shops I can pick up some gear at. I can only find courses in Vancouver. If there are any groups or people who would not mind helping me learn the ropes, I don’t have any gear yet looking for recommendations and what gear works for people out here. About me, I’m very new to the breath hold thing. My best static time is 1:30 and can swim under water for 25-30 m underwater with no fins at a pool.
Thanks

Hey Matt, How have you been making out? I've been spearin' a long time & only freedive - it's very addicting! Most guys that I know only freedive while spearing. I would recommend taking a freedive course. There are some dangers that you should be aware of freediving.
- Here is the pop version:

I have lived on the Rock & there are several guys from Victoria that are avid spearos. I'm on the mainland now...

We have a group on Facebook called "Westcan Spearos". It's a good group - check it out & feel free to hook up: https://www.facebook.com/groups/345997292082236/permalink/799473493401278/#!/groups/345997292082236/

Hey guys,
Just finished PFD intermediate free diver course, looking to get into the brine as much as possible. Looking for spear and dive buddies. Message me if your keen.
C

PM sent, I have done the Performance Freediving Intermediate course and would be happy to meet up.
Hey im a scuba instructor getting into free diving. Was checking out the PFI course, wondered how great it was. At $750 I just dont know how soom I could afford, so might not be until spring 2015. Anyway.

I too am looking for a buddy in Victoria. I have all the gear except fins, and most of it is scuba (mask, fins, weightbelt), slowly putting together a better kit, dedicated fins first probably. I can static apnea 1:30 + and would like a buddy to train with in the water!!

Let me know!

cheers

Thats what I was told at a dive shop here in courtenay. So I went on Amazon.ca and got them. Be prepared to pay lots of shipping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They can get Cressi at Frank Whites in victoria, special order, shipping indeed...

I’m wondering if anyone on the site can help me out. First off I just I just moved to Victoria and I’m looking for free diving info for the southern part of Vancouver Island. Are there any clubs or courses I can take, dive shops I can pick up some gear at. I can only find courses in Vancouver. If there are any groups or people who would not mind helping me learn the ropes, I don’t have any gear yet looking for recommendations and what gear works for people out here. About me, I’m very new to the breath hold thing. My best static time is 1:30 and can swim under water for 25-30 m underwater with no fins at a pool.
Thanks

If you can swing I would suggest PFI

Hey im a scuba instructor getting into free diving. Was checking out the PFI course, wondered how great it was. At $750 I just dont know how soom I could afford, so might not be until spring 2015. Anyway.

I too am looking for a buddy in Victoria. I have all the gear except fins, and most of it is scuba (mask, fins, weightbelt), slowly putting together a better kit, dedicated fins first probably. I can static apnea 1:30 + and would like a buddy to train with in the water!!

Let me know!

cheers
Hi just read your post. I'm new to the island but not to freediving. I'm an Apnea Academy Instructor maybe I can help you out?

Just on an off note. I used to spearfish out of Victoria, but am now in Alberta, so I am selling off my spearfishing gear. I got spearguns including one with a reel, to floats, to other miscellaneous gear if you are looking. Save the shipping and the new fees.

I can help with local information for shore dive spearfishing in Victoria if anyone needs any information.

I am interested in learning about spearo spots in victoria - if there is any contacts you have or guys that will gather...

keep the gear though, a few spots around here

I am still out diving 2-4 times per week around Victoria and will continue to dive throughout all seasons, though I focus on spearfishing - not just freediving.

Just sayin'. Get in touch if you wish, I usually dive with my partner, or near home as I don't have a vehicle.

I am still out diving 2-4 times per week around Victoria and will continue to dive throughout all seasons, though I focus on spearfishing - not just freediving.

Just sayin'. Get in touch if you wish, I usually dive with my partner, or near home as I don't have a vehicle.

Hey there, do you still spearfishing around Victoria ?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT