• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New guy

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

J Nylund

Dec 9, 2007
This is my first post. I took the PFI course from Kirk and Martin 2 years ago in Miami. Fantastic experience. I am 62 years old, but am having pretty good results with my training. I do a lot of swimming with limited breathing, like breathing every 9th stroke for 100 meters and lots of variations on this. In the summer I dive in our local lake and do both some dives to depth and also dives to 20 0r 30 feet with increasing breath holds. I usually start at 1 minute and increase by 15 secs until I get to 3 minutes, and then I work back down. My best static is 5:16. Anyone that has any experience with breath hold and aging lungs, I would love to hear from them.

You've come to the right place Check out the freediving forum, and look for stuff from Bill. He's been around awhile and is a very good diver. Welcome.

I wouldn't label any of our revered members as aging. Not to name names, but Old Sarge (c'mon, Old is in his NAME!!!), Bill Mc..., and a few others have had uhhhh, hmmmm, well, a longer tenure on this planet than I, and pack some serious experience in their posts.

Welcome to DB, J Nylund!

Sarge & Bill, PM me if you're really pissed about me outing your "oldness"rofl

All this talk about age. The only thing that I know for sure is the fact that you lose one heartbeat every two years. Of course, when it comes to apnea, that may not be a bad thing. At the start of a dive my lungs hold more air than they did thirty years ago. Diving to my age gets a little harder each year but even then it's good to see something get harder (besides arteries and eyeballs). I think I'll go put that 'Cat-in-the-hat' poem in the jokes thread.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…