• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New HSD

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

strangelove

Mar 13, 2005
All

The current Hawaii Skin Diver has tested several guns, the test description is not as good past test but it does show how good the gun shoots as well as divers impression.
The tested guns were:

Beuchat Marlin Carbon Elite
Effesub Black Blade Open
H. Dessault Quattro Carbone
Hammerhead Evolution
Omer Cobra
Omer Cayman Carbon
Omer Cayman HF
Picasso Century Carbonium FH
Riffe Euro
Seac Sub X-Fire

So is that the order they finished in? If not which gun came first?
It would be nice to find out but not sure how easy it would be to get hold of a HSD.

I used to subscribe to HSD.I stopped because their website no longer had a place for credit card security number and Visa wouldn't pay them without it, even when I phoned Visa and asked them to.
Shame as I really enjoyed the magazine.

The target was at 13 feet away, pretty far, most of the single band guns shot low, on the test they don't pick a winner however, based on what I've read it was the Hammerhead gun (double band).

But their were good comments like the beuchat muzzle can slow down the shot also the cayman carbon is too light and recoils, the dessault was under power (again that is probably a great gun for holes - 13 feet shoot ).

They also noted how the wooden gun are more difficult to move.

I don't own any of these guns, I am just posting what I've read.

Its funny what attracts us. As a Californian, I thought it was neat that the issue was dedicated to yellowtail, much like a recent issue was dedicated to our other popular game fish, the white sea bass.

But now that you point it out, maybe I'll eventually get to the gun article.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…