• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New - looking to snorkel on Gower

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Firegirl

Aug 5, 2021
Hi, I am new here. I recently moved to Gower and although I haven't dived for a while, I sea swim and like to snorkel. I'm looking for recommendations for good places to go snorkeling please.
Many thanks

The Gower is beautiful but you need to careful because of the huge tidal range of the Bristol Channel (2nd largest range in the world). Get a ride timetable booklet and become familiar with it.

A scuba- diver I knew had an epic when his boat anchor got stuck when they needed to get out of the flow and he had to dive to free it. He seemed genuinely shaken and this guy was no stranger to risk as a cave diver and rock climber.

Some climber friends had an epic trying to get back after climbing sea stacks in Pembroke. And they knew the the tides. They abandoned a lot of expensive new gear and felt lucky to escape with their lives.

That said Oxwich Bay can be nice and there is reputedly a wreck near the outside of the bay that people dive. But outside the cove, the current can rip by ferociously at certain states of the tide.

Mumbles and bracelet bay are still on my to-do dive list.

I wonder if Worms Head might we worth diving too, perhaps the east side? Or under Fall Bay Buttress? Sheltered bays are probably to the safest bet.

Thanks.
Yes I keep tabs on the tide times even for swimming. I live on the north side, with the estuary, so only swim there on an incoming tide.
I've heard about the rip at Oxwich from a canoeists who got caught recently, lost some fishing gear and had a hard paddle out.
Someone else locally suggested worms head too.
At the moment the vis is very poor but if we get some clear water (as we did a couple of weeks ago) I'll test out some of your suggestions.
Thanks very much for replying.

Reactions: Mr. X
North Gower, isn't that renown for its shellfish (cockles/clams?) and saltwater grazed lamb?

Yes cockles, samphire and salt marsh lamb. We also have a fabulous beach that's pretty quiet because you can't park near it. I'm blessed to live in this little part of heaven.

Reactions: Mr. X
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT