• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New member from Sarasota

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

oneoldude

Feb 7, 2005
Hi All,

I am a new member but an old guy. I started freediving and spear fishing around 1958 but been out of the game for many a year. I figure if I do some fish hunting I will get some excercise that I sorely need! But I have no gear and am out of the loop.

I live in Sarasota Fl and would like some pointers to good places to go in depths of 30 feet or less. Also, are there any dive shops that cater to freedivers in this part of the world? By "this part of the world" I mean from Venice to Tampa/St. Pete. I am looking for shops that sell used stuff, trigger parts, spears, rubber etc. because I am a tinkerer and enjoy making and modifiying gear.

Thanks for the site and thanks for any replies.

Last edited:
Aloha OOD
From one to another. If you shot your first fish in '58, you probably beat me by a few months. Depending on how long you have been out of the game, you'll notice a few/lot of changes. The big game gun costs a thousand now instead of a hundred, the fins are a little longer and grandmothers dive 230 feet.
Be very careful, this stuff is addictive.
Bill

Welcome 1oldD. You 'old' guys have lots to contribute, please do so! The gear selection is probably a little more than you remember, and there's some good science behind some of it. But there's no substitute for experience, hunting instinct, and good stories....so bring 'em on.
I'm from the wrong end of the continent, but I'm sure there are some shops close to you....lots of spearos in Fl. Hopefully they'll start chiming in.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Now that I think of it, I guess I started freediving about 1956 at about 14 years of age.

I made my own 1 band mini speargun and did quite well with it until I hit a 30+ pound snook on the gill plate (yes I was a bad kid in those days). The spear just bounced off! That is when I bought a US made arbalette (sp?) type gun and couldn't hit the bottom with it.

I suppose I want to relive my youth and do it right this time. That is why I am looking for parts from which to make a short range gun. I have seen some of the custom wood guns on the net and they are very pretty and quite easy to make.

I have some decent cypress boards (they grow in water don't they?) for barrels and if I can salvage an old trigger mechanism or two from somewhere I should be on my way.

It's going to be fun!

Thanks,

oneoldude

Last edited:
Welcome OOD
I just love your signiture ;)
There a couple of links been posetd recently, one in particular from an Italian member with a brilliant site about gun making, I think it was in a which one should I buy thread in the speargun section. Icarus Pacific has writtten an article on the hunting home page about the wood work involved, They may be of help to you.
Anyway once again Welcome, its good to have new members with experience (especially of life as well as hunting). :)
Ali

Welcome OOD,

Its great to have another DBer in Sarasota. Got your phone, will call later. Think about getting together to train.

Connor

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT