• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New Omer

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Baker

Mar 3, 2005
I just got a new Excalibur 2000, 100cm aluminim and I was wondering about the shaft guide. Should I place it in the middle or closer to the front? Also I have a really hard time loading it. I have to use all my strength possible to just get it to the first notch on the shaft and that's on dry land! I can't imagine doing it in the water. So is there any kind of exercises you guys do to make loading easier, or do my sling need to be broken in? Thanks.

never load your speargun on dryland! your fingers will thank me one day.

Amphibious said:
never load your speargun on dryland! your fingers will thank me one day.

...or your drywall.

Most of those single shaft guides that I have seen are placed very close to the handle. Alot of people just take them off too. If the guide is too far forward it can theoretically make the shaft wobble. The best bet is to hop in the pool w/ a target and just try it in the front, back, middle, off and see what you like.

To load it to the second notch you have to have the gun high on your chest. the best bet is to grab the handle w/ you left hand and the band w/ your right hand. Push your left hand out, stretching the band, and place it on your sternum. Then let go of the handle and grab the band w/ both hands and pull to second notch.

don't load the thing on dry, on the other hand if you manage to load it on dry you will have mo problem to load it underwater. Loading it underwater is much more easier. Put the mobile shaft guide to the fron end, few cm front of the wishbone..When you shoot it wishbone will chop the edges a bit so putting it front is the best place in that manner and for shooting ballistic point of view too...

Baker
Like all above said and this: put the butt against your chest, then repeatedly bounce the bands (by pulling) then go for it, Im not very strong but that way works for me, its just a knack nothing to do with strength. Failing that, put a slightly longer set of bands on for a couple of dives untill you get the hang of it, I used do that at the begining of every season.

You could tie a strong rope to a tree, lie on your back and pull yourself up and hold your own bodyweight for as long as you can.
Try and use the same position that you would use to load your gun this will strengthen the muscles and get them used to holding weight while you place the wishbone.
Also what diameter bands are you using? 20mm 19mm?
consider using a slightly smaller diameter and shorter length.

Terribly sorry Huan, your quite right, behave the lot of ya! Shane, Memo consider your self told! Aunty Alison will have to slap your bottoms!!!

:ko :ban

now now Aunty Alison, eventhough you like to wear tight rubber suits, you dont have to get violent rofl

thanks for the help guys. ill be diving tomarrow or the next day so ill tell you how it goes. also this is my first dive with a gun, i usualy go out with a pole spear and all my other friends had guns. now ill fit in. i think ill be alright without a float for a while as long as i dont shoot any big uluas. but yea, one person says put the shaft guide on the front, one person says put it near the handle. which one is better?

Get yourself a floating target you can anchor down and do some target pratice with the guide in both places, work it out for yourself to see which one suits you and practice loading at the same time

another question. would a 4 liter water container work as a ghetto float until i get a torpedo float? or would it not even be worth bothering?

As long as its a nice bright colour then yes, anything is better than nothing for safety (if you cant get a bright colour then put it in a polyethelene shopping bag of a good colour)

lol yea im gonna use a bright orange juice container. yea it should help me not get run over by boats, also i hope it'll help me from losing my gun to any fish.

Baker, if you make a float out of an empty bottle, be sure to put some foam peanuts in it, or better, fill it with spray foam. Leave it empty and it is likely to spring a leak and either sink on you or have no lift when you need it, can be plenty spensive. If it is clear, first spray paint the inside a bright color.

Connor

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT