• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New PB and its a mother of a pinkie

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

monchan

Aug 15, 2007
Kids have started nursery school, got my mornings free again (yeah) wife gives me the green light, so off I went.

conditions fairly flat overcast day. but quite wishy washy in the water (what is the term for that?)

Within 3mins of entering from the beach I`d missed a good sized bream(f#%k) I thought. 5 mins later missed a good sea bass it was a sreal sitter too. It was a very fishy day bass were everywhere, neve seen so many. I didnt land one.......one of those days.

I hit a big Ishidai, which would have been a PB for that species for my. bigger than the one in my bear hug thread. but through the guts he got off, sadly I could not find him. As time went by various and numerious misses later I decided to turn around and try to get something on the way back. but before I did I thought I`d better at swim to the end of the tetra pods down to the shallow end.

3m deep I was heading under a tetra pod and I saw him. Thought it was a bream, colour wrong. then I thought what could it be. BANG polespear into the head. DEAD. the spear didnt penetrate right in and part of the flopper was still out side of the skull. PANIC. string it before it kicks to life.
A little struggle getting the stringer in, all is good. Then I realized what I had. A MOTHER OF A PINKIE. OMFG.

85cm
7.1 kg my best fish by far, shore dive with a polespear.
my previous biggest was a 82cm bass. but never had it wieghed.
I took this fish to my local fishing shop to be weighed and they did a gyotaku for me. fish print. For those of you who do your own prints, in japan when fish is served the head is always to the left, so with the prints the head is always to the left.

My swim back was followed up by more misses with the bass. but I didnt manage a good bream 45cm, and two huge cuttlefish. made for a very happy day.

Attachments

• f.jpg
    f.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 200
  • Photo-0283.jpg
    Photo-0283.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 181
  • Photo-0282.jpg
    Photo-0282.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Nice snapper! Looks similar to the New Zealand snapper. I really like the gyotaku as well. that looks to be a true "traditional" print. Something that seems to be lost elsewhere.

Congrats on the toad! and on a pole spear to boot!

Congrats mate. Im green with envy. Did you take it im one of the spots you have taken me?

I got just a bit past where that hirame of yours got away. Hows things going with you? have you been able to hit the water?

Great catch! I am very impressed you took it with a pole spear!!

I haven't been out, and my stuff is still on a boat somewhere on the 7 seas ...

I did go to a beach were I can do a little diving/snorkeling with my family -probably not spearing since there are a lot of people around.

There is a club in the area, and I plan to reach out to them after we really get settled in. I understand that spearing here is definately more regulated as it is a more mainstream way of fishing, and I need to figure out all the rules.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT