• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New Professional 6.5 mm Omer

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

breiza

Jan 23, 2004
Hello guys,

Has any of you tried the New Professional 6.5 mm from Omer (smooth skin outside)?

I am hesitating between more traditional Mundial Prestige 7mm Beuchat and the New Professional 6.5 mm Omer.

I am a bit concerned that I would tear too quickly the Omer New professional 6.5 if the neoprene is too weak.

We do need 6.5-7mm here, cold atlantic seas in western europe!

Thank you,

Breiza

It looks like a great suit. I just bought an Omer 5mm Reef Mimetic from a store where I had gone to hopefully see and try on The Professional (they didn't have one in stock). The shins, knees, seat, forearms and elbows are reinforced with a pliable but tough material so unless you're really rolling around on barnacle encrusted rocks, I would think you'd be fine. My Omer with its open cell interior is easy to put on with the aid of a spray bottle filled with 1 part hair conditioner to 10 parts of water. I would think that suit would be plenty tough enough for you.

Hiya

I also own a 5mm Omer Ocean Mimetic. Very nice suit. Two years ols and no hassles. My buddy bought that suit you're refering to.
Very warm, but fragile. It does tear quickly but is very easily repaired. After a couple of dives he got used to taking it off and now, no more problems. Use soapy water when putting on as well as when you take it off and you'll be ok. My buddy claims it's the warmest suit he's used.

Hope this helps

Regards
miles

Thanks for the feedback guys.
I'll give it a go and report!
I did like the mimetic one but only found it in 3mm... I like the camo patterns, looking really good!

Breiza

Hello guys,
I took my new professional OMER 6.5mm in 7-7.5C sea and it was great!
However the jacket totally came apart (correct size though), probably the neoprene glue job wasn't good enough. I am sending it back for an exchange...
It did require more weights as well!!

Great fitting and definitely good in cold waters.

Its weird to hear that such a thing happened with your jacket.... how did that happen? Before, during, or after diving?

RCC

I only noticed when I got out but all was fine when I got into the water. I think the glue they used just didn't do a good job or the glue damaged the neoprene around, making it weaker.

There are probably about 10-15 holes along the cuttings where they use neoprene glue.

The temp was 7-7.5C so I wasn't jumping around, rather static, etc so not even stretching it by movements.

Not pleasant! I'll let you know if they accept to take it back for exchange.

Breiza

This is the 150th time I hear that about the New Proffessional.

Sorry I did not read your post sooner but I would have advised you against it. All other omer suits are good but the New Pro in particular is absolutely useless.

Go for the Beuchat

Hiya

The Omer Memetic Med comes in 6.5mm. They're very durable suits. Same as the Ocean mimetic just a brown camo. I've dived with my 5mm Ocean Mimetic in 8 degrees water. My hands and feet were freezing (3mm socks and gloves) but i still managed 2hour+ in that cold water.

Hope this helps.

Regards
miles

My opinion is that a smooth-skin-out suit is not a good choice for actual recreational diving or spearing. They're fine for going up and down a rope, but the extra laminar flow really isn;t necessary (or probably noticeable) to most of us.
OMER's nylon-out suits are very strong and good quality.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Guys,

I do like the opencells, I find it much warmer than nylon only, of course not as "ruggedised" but if you are careful, usually good.

What do you think of the Beuchat Mundial Elite and Mundial Prestige? I don't really like the OMER med mimetic, OMER name all over it and the camo is more suited for warmer seas, not necessarily north atlantic coast.
I prefer the ocean Mimetic but not available in 6.5 it seems. the OMER Master Pro doesn't seem to have good shape/cuts but I could be wrong.

What do you think?

Breiza

Eric

I agree that Nylon out is better for spearfishing / recreational diving but if you have smothskin out you have more advances.
Easy breath in & out, elasticity off the suit.

My wife have a 5mm Elios Blackcell inside/ Superelastic Lining outside and this suit is 90 % flexible ass Smothskin

Breiza

Take a lock att Polo sub. http://www.polosub.com/
They have Tailormaide Ocean mimetic camou
shaneshac have post some pictures att:
http://forums.deeperblue.net/showth...40&perpage=15&highlight=Polo sub&pagenumber=2

I am on the way to order one for myself but i still waiting for a respons about what kind of material is the Thermocell that they have

Lambis

Originally posted by breiza
I prefer the ocean Mimetic but not available in 6.5 it seems. the OMER Master Pro doesn't seem to have good shape/cuts but I could be wrong.

What do you think?

Hi Breiza,

Mimetic Med, Ocean Mimetic and Master pro have the same shape/cut which is different from New professional.
I used a New Professional last summer with no problems until it was stolen. Made about 30 dives with it. The new professional shape/cut was made for me, the size 2 fits me like glove. I'm just bones and skin (1,86 - 65kg) and the new cut on the mimetic and master pro doesn't fit me so nice. Its a little wider on the arm pits/should area.

Master pro is a nice suit and I have one...although it doesn´t fit me has nicely has the New Pro. I also don't like the camo stuff! Black is black...:D

Cheers,
Rui

Hello Breiza

Merou suits are O.K. the only think that I know is that tey use SEDO neoprene that comes from Germany.
http://www.sedochemicals.de/index.php?curr_lang=en

I was to thinking to order a Merou suit but becauce I dont know the Qualitys of this Neoprene I will go with PoloSub

BTW. If you order a new Suit go with one the is tailormade
and go with a company that is famous in the quaity like Elios PoloSUb TopSub
You realy dont pay more but the suit will be tailor made for you and exelent quality.
If you whant a suit that is very very good in Quality & price take:

Cressi sub competition suit 3,5 or 5mm. You can find it for ca 150 euro. I have wear this suit and many of my friends own one. It is exelent, warm, & elastic.

BUT Thats is only my personal opinion.

Motionsync

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT