• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New Rubber

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

arrowloopboy

Jul 14, 2012
I want to reband my Beuchat Mundial,it has room for screw in rubbers or a ring for one long rubber ,which is more powerfull??
It came with 18mm screw ins,how do i measure the lenght of a long rubber that will give me optimal stopping power ?
I notice the price of rubber varies widely,its a 70/75 not sure as it came much longer and i cut it back a bit rofl.
Is it possible to get the rubber a bit longer that necessary an cut it back gradually to get the best lenght ??
Reccomend me decent rubber aswell please.
Thanks

Andy.

I've been told that a single sling type rubber is more powerful than two screw type rubbers as you have that extra inch and a half that is wrapped around the end, which is more stretch and more stored energy. A single type rubber also allows you to fit a dyneema wishbone easier, which is quieter and less dangerous.

Regarding length that is normally a set length from the manufacturer depending on the length of gun, they have spent hours researching the best length for the required thickness so their recommendations are the best compromise between power and accuracy

Just my 2p worth

Another thing to bear in mind is the thickness of rubber you want to use aswel as the thickness of the spear you are currently using. As this has a big effect on power/accuracy. With the rob Allen guns they recommend 16mm rubbers for a 6.3mm spear. 18mm rubbers for a 6.6mm spear and 20mm rubbers for a 7mm spear. Ill find the length charts for you an post them up

Here is a guide for rob Allen 16mm rubbers
Gun Length (cm) Rubber Length (cm)
70 45
80 48
90 51
100 55
110 60
120 65
130 72
140 78
150 84
160 90

And the one for 20mm rubbers. Sorry I can't find the sizes for 18mm rubber
Gun Length (cm) Rubber Length (cm)
70 59
80 61
90 64
100 68
110 71
120 75
130 80
140 87
150 97

Scoobaru,

Thanks for all the info,18mm is a Beuchat size,I cut my gun back a few years ago,do you know how i'd get an exact measurement of it now?,from what point to what point,is it end of muzzel to start of barrel or lenght of barrel ??

I put it beside a mates 70 the other night,and it was roughly the same ,going by the 16 and 20mm measurements,a 52 should do in 18mm,but i might call Beuchat.

Normally guns are sized according to the actual barrel length excluding the handle and muzzle. So if you can measure the barrel you could go from there, if it works out between common measures eg 70-80 then go halfway between the rubber lengths eg for 75 use 46.5cm rubbers (based in 16mm bands). If you can get me a length if your gun I will try to find the size for a 1 piece rubber sling 18mm.

If you do decide to go to screw type rubbers I would suggest using rubbers 4cm shorter than the sling length for the gun length you are using.

Here is a website that sells 18mm Beuchat 18mm Bulk Band Rubber (per m) - Gun Bands & Wishbones - Spearfishingstore.co.uk

I'm trying to find out the size of rubbers for a 70cm gun with a 18mm sling

People use differen't raitos for calculating the length of bands with the norm being 3-3.5% stretch. Off the top of my head its something like distance from muzzle hole to shaft notch plus wishbone length times 3 or 3.5 divided by 2.
Search band length formula and and you'll find lost of info.
I use Spearit to buy bulk rubber, you can find them on fleabay.

better make it times 2 and then divide by 3-3,5 and not the other way around

Well it was close!
Like I said "off the top of my head"
I've got it written down for when I make bands so I don't get it wrong.
I never was any good at memorising formula:duh

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…