• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New Salvimar Predathor Models

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

popgun pete

Jul 30, 2008
I note that Salvimar has added new models to the Predathor range. You can now get a single power 55 cm gun with a camo tank which is called the "Storm" and there are three single power guns in 40, 55 and 65 cm which are the "Rock" model. Interestingly the latter guns are supplied without a hand pump, so that will be an extra purchase. There is now a 55 cm "Dark Side" model which is also single power.
Predathor new models.jpg

Reactions: Zahar
The Salvimar 2021 catalog has dropped the camouflaged "Storm" model, but the "Rock" models are still listed. Just checking and the "Storm" model is still available at a few outlets, but you pay more for it than the same length in the "Rock" or the basic single power "Predathor" with white trim, which basically are exactly the same guns with different colour schemes. If you already have a long Predathor gun then the lack of a hand pump with "Rock" models is no big deal. However I have found the basic "Predathor" with hand pump on special is only a few bucks more than the equivalent "Rock" in some retail outlets. COVID-19 has squashed sales and with Christmas coming stores are looking to sell guns.

I just had the chance to measure two Salvimar pneumatic speargun with a builder's rule which is way easier than using a retractable tape which flops around while you are trying to lock the tape in position. To my surprise the Predathor Vuoto 100 measured 107 cm from muzzle tip to rear valve cap and the Vintair Vuoto (Vuoto Air) 85 measured 92 cm, so that is 7 cm extra in both cases above the nominal length. A Salvimar Vintair 35 single power measures out at 42.3 cm, so again there is that 7 cm difference.

A Mares Cyrano 1.3 blue handle 90 model measures out at 90.7 cm which is more like it, and a Miniministen 2001 model (classed as a 42) measures out at 42.4 cm.

A Cressi Saetta 88 Quasimodo measured from muzzle tip to rear valve cap is 91 cm, so that is only 3 cm different. I am surprised Cressi did not call it a 90, but maybe the marketing people thought “88” sounded better. I don't have one to measure, but it would be interesting to see what the length is for the Predathor Dark Side 99.9!

How to measure the working course of the piston. As the rear grip section and nose cone and muzzle are the same lengths for a given speargun model then you can calculate the working course for each model in the size range using the difference in tank lengths from the figures shown here for this short model. Note drawing is not to scale.
Salvimar working course of piston.jpg

Thanks for the update.
is the Predathor rock the same gun as the basic Predathor? Or does it have any upgrades, like larger muzzle holes to allow the water to escape faster?
I want to know if the Predathor Plus comes with a stainless steel shaft like the vuotos or a plated one like the basic models.
selling it without pump is perplexing.

Last edited:
The “Rock” models don’t appear to be anything but an attempt to provide a lower cost gun by omitting the hand pump, assuming the buyer already owns a longer gun and thus has a pump for that gun. Salvimar offers a range of shafts, the plated shafts keep prices low, but you can always upgrade to stainless steel (inox) or spring stainless steel (17-4 PH). If you spearfish a lot then you need more than one shaft as shafts can be lost or bent in the longer lengths. Shafts supplied with guns tend to be plated screw tip for the basic models and Tahitian spring stainless for Vuoto models, but the Salvimar catalogue does not state the shaft material for each gun as such, only the part numbers. The 2021 catalogue shows the following table.
Salvimar Pneumatic Shafts 2021.jpg

For 2022 Salvimar have a new Predathor Vuoto in their "Krypsis" camouflage pattern on the alloy tank tube. The guns are in sizes 75, 80 and 100 cm. The main change is a single pivot, double flopper Tahitian shaft in spring stainless steel supplied as standard with the gun.
Salvimar Krypsis Predathor Vuoto.jpg

The Salvimar 2022 catalogue is now available on line for downloading.

Reactions: marco15499
Another change introduced with this model is a spear shaft tail with a 45 degree angle impact face and a matching stop ring face at the same angle, so the stop ring is not a thick flat washer that can fit either way on the shaft as it was before. Whether this angle is intended to prevent stop ring jamming on the shaft tail I don't know, but over time shaft tails can have a rounded profile hammered up on the step leading edge after many high energy impacts when it started off square edged. A bore of 9mm in the stop ring may have something to do with it considering the size of the shaft diameter at 7 and 7.5mm respectively.

Another possibility is to provide a tapered edge to pass through the sealing lip of the vacuum cuff and minimise damaging it..
Angled impact faces stop ring and tail.jpg

Last edited:
Nice. the 17-4 PH steel is the way to go. The plated shafts easily rust as the plating quickly wears out. The 7mm inox/stainless shafts easily flex while loading, making the process difficult. 8mm inbox shafts are OK, don't rust, do not bend. But for anything longer than 65 cm you need to get the 17-4 PH shaft if you want a thin shaft. They do not bend nor rust. About time they upgraded the shaft, although the long double flopper may make it harder to remove the shaft from a fish without damaging it more.

If there was one simple upgrade I would really appreciate is having longer line retainer tabs. it would make wrapping monofilament easier as it sometimes springs out of place. The rear cap for the valve is not great to put back in place properly.

Otherwise I am pretty happy with the Predathor. I own 4 in different lengths. Lately I mostly use the 75.

The camp finishing is nice, but at the end I apply camouflage or carbon fiber looking stickers on the barrel itself to preserve it from scratches, if I ever want to resell the gun down the road.

Is this the definition of a rip-off? Check the postage on this rear cap removal tool. You get one with each new gun purchase, but you better not lose it! Something could probably be improvised provided you could find a suitable wire or rod, however I don’t like this bung type cover and would prefer a screw in version which keeps water out of the inlet valve well. Styling precludes this from happening on these Predathor guns.
Salvimar rear cap removal tool.jpg

Predathor rear cap 1.jpg

Salvimar now have a tool for removing the inlet valve body. The muzzle and the inlet valve body act as nuts clamping the gun together on the inner barrel tube which is threaded at both ends. If you need to pull your gun apart then you will need one of these unless you make one yourself.
Salvimar Predathor inlet valve tool.jpg

A close-up look at this tool shows that it is machined from hexagonal brass bar.
Salvimar tool close up.jpg

Last edited:
As of the Salvimar 2022 catalogue these are the various Predathor Vuoto sizes. The Krypsis has a twin flopper Tahitian shaft.
Predathor Vuoto Dark Side Krypsis sizes.jpg

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT